The Brookfield/CMH Stars boys hockey team got the post-season off to a good start, defeating eighth-seeded Sussex Hamilton/Germantown, 3-2, Feb. 18 and then upsetting top-seeded Homestead, 4-3, Feb. 20.
In the first-round win, John Rymaszewski had two goals and two assists to spark the victory.
He scored at 8 minutes, 24 seconds in the first period and then had the second assist on Robbie Fosdick's second-period goal, which Riley Keays assisted on.
Rymaszewski added his second goal at 9:07 and then assisted on Keays' short-handed goal at 4:57 of the third period for a 3-0 lead.
Hamilton/Germantown scored at 10:37 and 16:47, but the Stars held on to win. Goalie JJ Murnane stopped 19 shots.
Down goes Homestead
Top-seeded Homestead scored a powerplay goal and led 1-0 after one period Feb. 20 in the regional championship game. The Highlanders also scored first in the second period to go up 2-0.
But the man of the hour — Rymaszewski — scored a shorthanded goal assisted by Keays to make it 2-1 at end of the second period, before Homestead scored early in third period to make it 3-1.
Then Rymaszewski scored again to make it 3-2, and Brookfield called a timeout with 1:55 left.
The Stars pulled their goalie with 1:20 left in the game to have an extra attacker and tied the game with 23 seconds left with a goal by Nate Mikelonis.
Homestead controlled the first few minutes of overtime, but Rymaszewski scored again for the hat trick to give Brookfield the regional championship and a major upset at Homestead.
"This was a big win for our team, our seniors and our program," assistant coach Matt Shapiro said.
"We never gave up and fought back the whole game. It was a special night for our kids, and everyone on our bench contributed in some way."
The Stars played fifth-seeded Fond du Lac Springs in Fond du Lac on Tuesday in the sectional semifinal.
The sixth-seeded Brookfield Glacier girls co-op lost to the third-seeded Appleton West co-op, 3-0, Feb. 20 in the first round.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Catholic Memorial ends Spartans season with 4-2 regional victory
- Lancers win sectional title, first trip to state since 2001
- Baseball: Ausloos dazzles as Brookfield Central edges KM
- Baseball: Spartans give CMH a push, but Crusaders prevail
- Indians hold off Central, 7-5
- Brookfield bulldogs crush Hartland but lose to West Bend
- Brookfield East baseball team enjoys early starting times
- Chargers knock off Brookfield Central in semis
- Brookfield East goes 3-0 in GMC tournament