Brookfield Central whipped West Allis Central, 88-59, on Saturday and clinched at least a tie for the Greater Metro Conference Championship.
The Lancers (20-0, 12-0) lead the Bulldogs (17-3, 10-2) by two games with games left to play.
Brookfield plays at Menomonee Falls (11-9, 7-5) on Tuesday and then hosts West Allis Central in a rematch next Thursday to close out the regular season. The Bulldogs host MUHS on Tuesday (7-12, 3-8) before meeting Brook Central.
Brad Newman was the big story on Saturday, as he scored 26 points, 13 in each half. Riley LaChance had 23 points, Elijah Goodman had 18 points and 16 rebounds and Caleb Mortag had 15 points.
WAC, Ron Turkvan had 14, Jaquan Martin had 13 and Brandon Key had 11.
The Lancers led 18-16 after one quarter and then outscored the Bulldogs, 20-14, in the second quarter for a 38-30 lead. They led by 15 points, but the Bulldogs went on an 8-1 run to close out the half, as Key nailed two 3-pointers and Turkvan hit two free throws with 2.5 seconds left in the half.
The Lancers were leading 51-40 when they put the game away with 3:26 left in the third quarter with an 8-0 run.
LaChance hit two free throws, Goodman tossed in a rebound shot, Newman hit LaChance with a beautiful pass on a fastbreak for a layup and Goodman scored on a rebound for a65-40 lead with 1.:21 left in the third. Tyler Maten scored on a drive and Key hit a 3 to cut it to 59-45, but LaChance hit Mortag with a beautiful pass and he jammed it with 1.5 seconds left for a 61-45 lead.
Unofficially, the Lancers were red-hot from the field, hitting 33-for-53 (.623).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East boys battle Marquette down to the end in loss
- Greendale girls basketball team narrowly falls to Cudahy in regional championship
- Liebl has Brookfield Central Lancers girls basketball team playing well at the right time
- Holz finishes just short of medals for Falls wrestlers
- Sports Notes: March 5
- Germantown's Szohr learns from finishing fourth in state wrestling
- Brauer, Busch step up for Brookfield Central down the stretch
- Brewers launch new podcast
- Brookfield East's Dempey loses tough decisions at state wrestling tourney