The Brookfield East girls basketball team edged Brookfield Central, 38-36, and snapped a 12-game losing streak against the Lancers. In the nightcap, The No.1 ranked Lancers rolled over the Spartan boys, 72-42.
Alena Moro's layup with 4:21 in the third quarter gave Central a 23-22 lead and that was the last time the Spartans trailed.
Angela Pichler hit a free throw and a jumper and Mariah Miller scored on two drives to the basket and East took a 29-23 lead.
Sophomore Cami Cross hit a jumper and a rebound for a 33-26 lead, before Central countered with a rebound basket and a 3-pointer by Caroline Busch to cut the lead to 33-31 with 3:10 left in the game.
But Cross scored on another layup, Busch hit a free throw and Kellie Goodman hit a free throw give East a 36-32 lead with 20.9 seconds left.
Lydia Rohde drove the lead and scored, Pichler hit two free throws and Rohde scored on another drive with 3.2 second left, but it was too little too late.
Miller led all scorers with 14 points and Rohde had 13.
A 39-35 win at Central on Jan. 31, 2008 was the last time the Spartans beat Central.
Caleb Mortag had 14 points, Brad Newman and Riley LaChance had 13 each and Elijah Goodman had 10 as the boys crushed the Spartans.
They lead 40-19 at halftime. Corey Smith had 13 points and Christian Simon had 11 to lead the Spartans.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Elm Grove library to host free family event for Earth Day
- Central netters young, but improved
- East tennis team best in state?
- Wajda only returnee for Lancer golfers
- Henning, Vitale to lead Spartans golf team
- For East's Harper it's all about her teammates
- East's Hollingsworth looks to defend high jump title
- Brookfield Academy: April 21
- Sports Shorts: April 14