The Brookfield Central girls used nine 3-pointers, including seven in the first half, to hand Divine Savior Holy Angels a 55-50 loss at BC and move into a tie for first place in the Greater Metro Conference.
The Lancers (10-1) and Dashers (9-3) share first place with 4-1 records. Second place Sussex Hamilton (3-1) and Brookfield East (3-1) square off at Sussex on Friday.
Arike Ogunbowale scored 24 points, but 19 came in the final period when the Lancers backed off and let her drive to the basket. Junior guard Emma Brauer and freshman guard Caroline Busch did an excellent job holding her to five points for three quarters, including an 0-for-7 first half.
Three pointers by Lydia Rohde, Nicole Hinz and Abby Miller sparked an 11-5 first quarter for Central and then the Lancers went on an 18-run in the second period for a 29-11 lead at halftime.
Busch and Hinz each nailed two 3's in the second period to spark the offense. Freshman Ovi Young had five points as the Dashers had a 14-9 third period advantage, as Hinz scored seven of Central's points, adding another 3-pointer.
DSHA cut the lead to 39-35 with 4:38 left to play when Busch made perhaps the play of the game when she nailed a long 3-pointer from the left elbow. Ogunbowale countered with a jumper, Brauer hit two free throws and Taylor Drost added a free throw, before Rohde hit a huge jumper from the left baseline for a 46-38 lead.
From that point on Busch hit 5-for-6 free throws, Rohde hit 3-for-6 and Jasmine Lewis was 1-for-2.
Hinz had 16 points, Busch 14 and the gutsy Rohde, who took some tough spills finished with nine points.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season