Boys varsity basketball
The Brookfield Academy boys varsity basketball team spent the weekend at Pope John High School in Sparta, N.J., playing in the Living Hope Festival.
Friday, the Knights played Columbia High School from Maplewood, N.J., the No. 13 team in the state, and won 78-67. Top scorers were sophomores Joe Lemon (19 points) and Ryan Clarey (17) and seniors Sean Clarey (15), Nate Stolte (14) and Josiah Marsh (13).
The following day, they played the defending national runner up, St. Benedict's Prep from Newark, ranked 17th nationally.
The Knights played their best game of the year, but lost 58-52. Clarey (23), Stolte (10) and Ryan Clarey (9) led in scoring.
— Coach Patrick Clarey
The girls varsity basketball team played Living Word Lutheran on Jan. 11, losing on a last-second shot, 40-38. Notable performances included strong ball handling from freshmen Leah Wong and Abbie Curran and scoring by senior junior Jamie King (12), Kourtney Krohn (11) and sophomore Ashley Balistreri (9).
The Blue Knights are 2-2 in conference play and 5-5 overall.
— Erika Schlagenhauf,
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Lancers name Jed Kennedy football coach
- Corwin to be inducted into tennis HOF
- Sports Shorts: March 13
- Lancers' Adams goes out on top
- Nightmare end to dream season
- Chapter 3: Once again, Lancers vs. DSHA
- Lancer girls defeat defending state champ
- Mark Adams steps down as Lancers boys basketball coach
- Brookfield Academy: March 13