Boys varsity basketball
The Brookfield Academy boys varsity basketball team spent the weekend at Pope John High School in Sparta, N.J., playing in the Living Hope Festival.
Friday, the Knights played Columbia High School from Maplewood, N.J., the No. 13 team in the state, and won 78-67. Top scorers were sophomores Joe Lemon (19 points) and Ryan Clarey (17) and seniors Sean Clarey (15), Nate Stolte (14) and Josiah Marsh (13).
The following day, they played the defending national runner up, St. Benedict's Prep from Newark, ranked 17th nationally.
The Knights played their best game of the year, but lost 58-52. Clarey (23), Stolte (10) and Ryan Clarey (9) led in scoring.
— Coach Patrick Clarey
The girls varsity basketball team played Living Word Lutheran on Jan. 11, losing on a last-second shot, 40-38. Notable performances included strong ball handling from freshmen Leah Wong and Abbie Curran and scoring by senior junior Jamie King (12), Kourtney Krohn (11) and sophomore Ashley Balistreri (9).
The Blue Knights are 2-2 in conference play and 5-5 overall.
— Erika Schlagenhauf,
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Whitefish Bay hands Lancers, Kennedy opening-night defeat
- Former Brookfield co-op hockey player Robby Fosdick advances up the ranks
- Brookfield Library recommendations: Aug. 21
- Brookfield East faces questions, but answers close by
- Brookfield East swimmers should be strong
- Elm Grove Tennis Club has successful junior tourney
- Kennedy takes over helm at Brookfield Central
- Brookfield East golfers returning four starters
- Brookfield Central golfers seek third straight GMC title