Brookfield East hung in with a good Mukwonago girls basketball team Friday, but dropped a 54-44 decision.
The loss dropped the Spartans to 3-7 overall, and they are off until Jan. 10 when they host Menomonee Falls (4-6). Sussex Hamilton, Brookfield Central, Falls and East are all tied for second in the Greater Metro Conference with 2-1 records.
The Spartans, who have dropped three of four games, had a poor first period (9-3) against Mukwonago, and trailed, 23-18, at intermission.
"We started slow, like we always do," coach Mike Goodman said, matter-of-factly. "We were down 23-10, but then hit a couple 3s and a basket right before half."
But the Indians' big third quarter (18-11) extended their lead to 41-29 going into the fourth quarter. They finished strong, outscoring the Indians, 15-13.
"We come out in the second half and they go on an 8-0 run," Goodman said. "We need to learn to play a full 32 minutes. We gave up a couple easy buckets. We battled, though."
Does the Spartans' youth have something to do with the lapses?
"Maybe a little bit, but we have to learn how to win," Goodman said. "The older grades aren't used to winning very much."
Freshman Jen Wandt scored 10 points, which included two 3-pointers, to lead the Spartans.
The talented wing gives the Spartans an important third wheel behind sophomores Angela Pichler and Mariah Miller.
"She is working extra hard," Goodman said. "She is very raw. We want her to work on a few little things. It is important that she wants to get better and is willing to work at it."
Angela Pichler added 7 points and Adriana Gibbs had 6.
Cami Cross, Kellie Goodman, Natasha Plavsic and Mariah Miller each had four points. Abby Gregg and Sydnee Livingston had 3 and 2 points, respectively, rounding out the nine players who got on the scoreboard.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- SPORTS NOTES NOV. 19
- Glacier girls hockey to return eight players
- SCORECARD: Elmbrook Swim Club
- Brookfield/Catholic Memorial boys hockey team co-op begins fourth season
- Brookfield East has surprising gridiron season
- Wauwatosa East volleyball season has solid season despite just missing another trip to state
- Brookfield Central's Kennedy proud of football team's effort in winning conference title
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 26, 2015
- Oak Creek girls basketball team pulls away from Brookfield Central in second half