Bulldogs bite Brookfield East boys basketball in GMC opener
Spartans lose to Oak Creek after starting game 16-0
Brookfield East boys basketball had an 0-2 week, losing a game it should of won and then running into a tough West Allis Central team and dropping their opener on Friday.
Brookfield East got off to a fast start Dec. 10 at Oak Creek, but the Knights rallied and nipped the Spartans, 56-54, at Oak Creek.
East led 16-0 four minutes into the game and 21-8 after one quarter, but then the Knights went on a 34-15 run in the second and third periods to take a 42-36 lead going into the fourth quarter.
The Spartans tried to come back, outscoring them 18-14, but fell short.
"Oak Creek chipped away, stayed course and you have to give credit to them," East coach Matt Malett said.
"We got few offensive rebounds, few defensive rebounds and they had more free throws made than we attempted.
"It was a lot of little things. They stiffened up, executed their offense and came back. They chipped away at the stone. We got the last bucket of game to make it close."
Junior guard Christian Simon poured in 23 points, which included five 3-pointers, and junior guard Jimmy Engelhart added 13.
Sophomore Dominic Carter, 6-foot 4-inch center, had nine and junior guard Will Ikpi chipped in with seven. Tristan Garivy and 22 points and Harrison Cleary added 15.
"We're sharing the ball well," Malett said. "The offense is coming along, but defensively we have to get a lot bette. We have to move our feet a lot better."
The Spartans also lost Carter for a time with fouls and that hurt East.
"The human and youth factor then took over," Malett said.
East fell behind 23-4 after first quarter at West Allis Central on Friday, but then the Spartans went on a tear and outscored the Bulldogs in the second quarter (16-4) and went into halftime trailing only 27-20.
But then Central came out and blew the game open (20-5), as both teams started the second half like the first.
Junior forward Brandon Werry scored 13 points to lead East, followed by Adam Van Rens (9) and Engelhart (8).
Ron Turkvan scored 21 points for the Bulldogs and Brandon Key had 10.
The Spartans played Brookfield Central on Dec. 17 and now host West Allis Hale on Dec. 20 before taking time off for the holiday. They are at New Berlin Eisenhower on Jan. 2 and then host Homestead on Jan. 4.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2