Spartans nip Tosa East boys spikers to head to state tournament
Only second time in school history and first since 2000
For only the second time in their history and the first time since 2000, the Brookfield East boys volleyball team is headed to the WIAA State Tournament on next weekend at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
The second-seeded Spartans edged top-seeded Wauwatosa East, 3-sets-to-2, Thursday night at Brookfield East to win the sectional title and snap the Red Raiders streak of seven straight trips to the state tournament.
The Red Raiders rolled to a 25-18 win in the first set, closing it out by winning with a 7-1 run.
But then it was all Spartans, as they won back-to-back sets by scores of 25-17 and 25-22 to take a 2-1 lead. East scored four straight points in set two to win on a shot by sophomore Matt Szews.
In the third set, Brook East was leading 16-15, then went on a 7-2 run for a 23-17 lead. The Red Raiders scored four in a row to cut the lead to 23-21, before the Spartans scored two of the next three points, winning on Szews’ kill shot.
With the Spartans needing only one set to win, the Red Raiders came back and won the fourth set (25-23) to tie the match at 2-2.
With their backs to the wall, trailing 23-22, Tosa East scored three in a row and won on an ace by Adam Christopherson.
Tosa East was leading 8-6 when the Spartans went on a 9-3 run to close out the set and the match, winning when Graydon Schroeder scored on his serve, 15-11.
Leading the stat parade for the Spartans were Matt Klassen with 17 kills, Schroeder with 13 kills and five blocks and Szews had 10 kills and six blocks.
Nick Watry had 23 assists, Jared Wilgus had 22 assists, Adam Wessel had 13 digs and four aces and Tyler Parker had four blocks.
Tosa East's Ben Plaisted had 35 kills and three aces, Mitch Wagner had 47 assists, Aaron Plaisted had 17 digs and Ian Quest had five blocks.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Wauwatosa East's Bueckers nabs all-state honors for girls soccer
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored