Falls nips Brookfield East, 29-21
Indians playing for title share next week, Spartans trying to make playoffs
Menomonee Falls scored four rushing touchdowns and defeated Brookfield East, 29-21, in a game which had a lot on the line for both teams.
Falls (5-1) left the field tied for first place with and needed a win in its season finale against Marquette (5-1) at home next week to grab the outright Greater Metro title. East (3-3) needs one win to clinch a playoff berth and will have to wait until next week when it faces last-place West Allis Central (0-6).
"We talked about it," a happy Falls coach John Baker said. "We felt this was going to be our first playoff game. We’re already in, but we play them (East) and Marquette.
"I wasn’t watching it; I was with the defense at that point," he said. "We had two guys that went in motion, one guy just stopped because he probably thought it was going to be a penalty. The guy that got the ball and was supposed to pitch it and pitched to nobody I was told. The other kid thought because the flags were thrown, there wasn’t going to be a play."
Falls hustled and recovered the ball at East's 23, and Almonte scored five plays later from seven yards out for a 26-14 lead with 3:49 in the game.
But Damico took East 60 yards in eight plays to the Falls 32-yard line. On a roll out pass to the left, as he threw the ball he was leveled by a Falls defender on a 3rd and 8 play.
After being attended to, he had to leave the game, and placekicker Connor Allen came in and tossed a beautiful fourth-down TD pass to Cole Larson to cut the lead to 26-21 with 2:36 to play.
A return and facemask penalty on the Spartans once again the Indians had a short field to deal with. After running four plays, kicker Anthony Russo drilled a 25-yard field goal to account for the final points.
"We wanted to play for 48 minutes and we did," Swittel said. "We needed a break or a call and we got neither all night long. I'll just leave it at that."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: East rolls over Falls, 38-0 behind Santiago-Lloyd's four touchdowns
- Brookfield East rolls over Falls, 38-0, to clinch playoff berth
- Brookfield Central football crushes Marquette, 52-20
- Central wins 4 straight GMC titles
- BROOKFIELD ACADEMY SPORTS OCT. 1
- Brookfield Sports Shorts: Oct. 1, 2015
- Brookfield East football team takes down Red Raiders
- Brookfield Central Homecoming game a happy one
- Brookfield East volleyball team goes 4-3 at West Bend Sprawl