Brookfield Central's Flatley bounces back to win invite
Girls cross country team takes third
Brookfield Central senior Elizabeth Flatley is feeling healthy again and won the Muskego Warrior Invitational on Saturday at Lake Denoon Middle School.
Flatley won in an amazing 13 minutes, 54 seconds beating Shannon Dugan of Oak Creek (15:12) for the title.
"Elizabeth Flatley continues to astonish me with her racing," coach Lorie Lewis said. "There was no reason to think she would run a staggering 13:54 during this particular week of the season.
"This past week Elizabeth trained hard with a full load of work. For her to run that fast was nothing short of amazing. It should be easy to find words for her performances yet nothing can articulate exactly how special she is."
Lewis also praised Flatley's attitude and work ethic.
"On Saturday she was the pride of the our program and school," she said. "Her demeanor and approach displays humility with a strong focus on individual goals for improvement. She is our role model for approaching one's potential experience."
Central finished third out of 18 teams.
Senior Danielle Kulpins finished 13th (15:47), sophomore Lucy Kwiatkowski was 14th (15:56) and Megan Hlava took 15th (15:57).
Junior Kasey Ledvorowski rounded out the top five for Central at 23rd (16:22), while sophomore Emma Kumer was 28th (16:27) and senior Paulina Agnello at 41st (16:50).
"The other standouts from the meet include Megan Hlava and Emma Kumer as each one raced personal records for the season," Lewis said. "Emma has been terrific as she has set new (personal records) in every race this season. Olivia Zweber not only won the JV race but also tapped into the varsity times with the seventh fastest time on the team. Needless to say she provides us all with an extraordinary experience."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Three Brookfield East football players earn All-Suburban honors
- Rasmussen, Knopp first-team All-Suburban
- Impressive start for Brookfield Central girls basketball
- Roundball Rankings: Player of the Week
- East girls struggle from the field
- Brookfield Academy: Dec. 5
- Dempsey, LeClaire to lead Brookfield East wrestling team
- Brookfield Stars hockey team wins Sheboygan Tournament
- Brookfield Central boys basketball rolls in Illinois tourney