Brookfield Central's girls soccer team beat, Brookfield East, 2-0, on Saturday evening at Central to win the sectional semi-final and advance to the WIAA State Tournament on Thursday-Saturday next week.
Central scored 13 minutes, 12 seconds left into the game on a free kick by Sierra High. Central's Abby Miller was taken down by an East defender resulting in the opportunty.
Lined up to the left of the goal from 10 yards out, High drilled a shot into the top of the net over East goalkeeper Rachel Novak who leaped as high as she could.
Central's final goal came with seven minutes left when Miller led Lulu Zuba perfectly and the speedy sophomore outraced a Spartan defender and went one-on-one with Novak. As the helpless Novak came out to cut down on the shot, Zuba drilled it into the net to clinch the game.
But the key to the game came in the final seconds of the first half, when senior captain Jackie Wandt went to shoot a penalty kick.
One-on-one with Olseon, Wandt drilled a shot toward the left side of the goal. Oleson guessed right, leaped through the air and not only knocked the ball away, but scrambled after it and covered as the first half ended.
Two coaching notes.
Central coach Jason Burdge, who beat East in the regular season for the first time since he's been coach the past six years, thus beat them twice in a month this year.
As for Matt Schroeder, this is the third time in four years he has been to the sectional final and has walked away without a win.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central guard Emma Brauer headed to UW-La Crosse
- Blue Sox increase winning streak to seven in a row
- Both Brookfield Land O' Lakes teams can make playoffs — or not
- Brookfield Bulldogs split two games over weekend
- Brookfield Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Brookfield East baseball team places five players on all-GMC team
- Versatile Shipman is Lancers' unsung hero
- Brookfield Bulldogs go 0-3 in ABC Tournament
- Pride of Midwest to add another fast-pitch team