MUHS dominates Spartans in state tennis semi-finals
Only freshmen Horneffer, Francken win at 3-4 singles
Brookfield East improved as the tennis season went on, especially on the doubles side. But the Spartans just couldn't get to the level of powerful Marquette.
As a result, the Hilltoppers swept doubles as expected and then split the four singles matches, with freshmen Dave Horneffer and Doug Francken dominating with wins at No. 3 and N. 4 singles.
Senior Mike Ebsen/sophomore David Sinense at No. 3 doubles beat East senior Michael Wolff/sophomore Tyler Kendler (6-0, 7-5) in a tougher match than expected.
But MUHS No. 1 doubles of seniors CJ Armbrust/Jed Skeran handled juniors Ben Stewart/Jimmy Engelhart (6-4, 6-3).
In the longest and last doubles match finished, a key match, which would have taken the pressure off the Spartans to have to sweep singles to win, No. 2 doubles of senior Greg Raster/junior Austin Budiono battled sophomores Henry Termuehlen/Patrick Krill and won (6-0, 7-5).
When singles began, Francken went out and blew away sophomore Kyran Young (6-0, 6-0) and Horneffer beat sophomore Alex Rokosz (6-3, 6-1).
Now trailing, 3-2, the key singles match at No. 2 singles saw Matt Lynch face East's Tim Corwin. They were 7-7 lifetime against each other according to Corwin, but Lynch had one 2 of 3 this season.
Lynch won the first game, 6-4, but Corwin came out fired up and blanked Lynch in the second game. Lynch, who had his own personal coach at the tournament, then huddled with him, worked out his problems and came out and won the last game 6-2, giving the Hilltoppers the match and allowing them to move on to the finals against Neenah, which beat Arrowhead, 4-3.
No. 1 singles Felix Corwin, the state singles champion, beat Damon Niquet of MUHS last weekend. But this time, it was the Hilltoppers' ace's turn.
Niquet, who had lost 4 straight to Corwin since beating him in the state individual and team matches last June, wasn't going to let it happen again.
He came back from a deficit in the first game and won 7-6 (6) and then rolled to a 6-2 victory.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine
- Football: Former Brookfield East coach Tom Swittel goes out with WFCA All-Star Game win
- Brookfield Bulldogs, Blue Sox begin Land O'Lakes stretch run
- New Brookfield Central AD Don Kurth to bring wide variety of experience
- Sports Notes: July 14
- Baseball: Brookfield East's upset bid falls short in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team wins three of final four regular-season games