Everything went like Brookfield East thought it would Friday night in the WIAA State Team Tennis quarter-finals, as the Spartans rolled over Wausau East, 7-0, at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Felix Corwin on at No. 1 singles (7-0, 7-0), Tim Corwin won at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1), David Horneffer won at No. 3 (6-1, 6-0) and Doug Francken at No. (6-1, 6-0).
In doubles Ben Stewart/Tim Engelhart won (6-1, 6-1), Henry Termuehlmen/Patrick Krill won (6-0, 6-1) and Michael Wulff/Tyler Kender won (6-3, 6-2).
"I was very pleased," coach Linda Lied said. "It's hard to play an opponent weaker than you, because sometimes you play down to the level and play only as hard as you need to.
"Our big speech was to come out hard and play focused right from the start. Our doubles did a really solid job with that, so they led the team. Everyone was playing tough tennis and they all got off the court really clean.
Then the singles came in and did the same thing.
What should be the state title match is set for 9 a.m. when Marquette and the Spartans meet. The Hilltoppers are 2-1 against the Spartans this season.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2