Everything went like Brookfield East thought it would Friday night in the WIAA State Team Tennis quarter-finals, as the Spartans rolled over Wausau East, 7-0, at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Felix Corwin on at No. 1 singles (7-0, 7-0), Tim Corwin won at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1), David Horneffer won at No. 3 (6-1, 6-0) and Doug Francken at No. (6-1, 6-0).
In doubles Ben Stewart/Tim Engelhart won (6-1, 6-1), Henry Termuehlmen/Patrick Krill won (6-0, 6-1) and Michael Wulff/Tyler Kender won (6-3, 6-2).
"I was very pleased," coach Linda Lied said. "It's hard to play an opponent weaker than you, because sometimes you play down to the level and play only as hard as you need to.
"Our big speech was to come out hard and play focused right from the start. Our doubles did a really solid job with that, so they led the team. Everyone was playing tough tennis and they all got off the court really clean.
Then the singles came in and did the same thing.
What should be the state title match is set for 9 a.m. when Marquette and the Spartans meet. The Hilltoppers are 2-1 against the Spartans this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East girls track team wins own invitational
- Whitefish Bay boys track team rolls into form, wins East meet
- Brookfield Central Jr. Lancer eighth-graders win fourth straight state title
- Brookfield East finishes third at Mike Gain Invite
- Brookfield Central Lancers lose 2 of 3 games, star pitcher
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Brookfield Central girls track team third at Spartan Invitational
- Sports Notes: April 16
- Brookfield East boys out to defend state tennis crown