Everything went like Brookfield East thought it would Friday night in the WIAA State Team Tennis quarter-finals, as the Spartans rolled over Wausau East, 7-0, at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Felix Corwin on at No. 1 singles (7-0, 7-0), Tim Corwin won at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1), David Horneffer won at No. 3 (6-1, 6-0) and Doug Francken at No. (6-1, 6-0).
In doubles Ben Stewart/Tim Engelhart won (6-1, 6-1), Henry Termuehlmen/Patrick Krill won (6-0, 6-1) and Michael Wulff/Tyler Kender won (6-3, 6-2).
"I was very pleased," coach Linda Lied said. "It's hard to play an opponent weaker than you, because sometimes you play down to the level and play only as hard as you need to.
"Our big speech was to come out hard and play focused right from the start. Our doubles did a really solid job with that, so they led the team. Everyone was playing tough tennis and they all got off the court really clean.
Then the singles came in and did the same thing.
What should be the state title match is set for 9 a.m. when Marquette and the Spartans meet. The Hilltoppers are 2-1 against the Spartans this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central Lancers make first trip to state baseball since 2001
- Catholic Memorial ends Spartans season with 4-2 regional victory
- Lancers win sectional title, first trip to state since 2001
- Baseball: Ausloos dazzles as Brookfield Central edges KM
- Baseball: Spartans give CMH a push, but Crusaders prevail
- Indians hold off Central, 7-5
- Brookfield bulldogs crush Hartland but lose to West Bend
- Brookfield East baseball team enjoys early starting times
- Chargers knock off Brookfield Central in semis