Lancers beat East in doubleheader, remain in first
Central wins 13-1, then rallies for a 6-5 win in nightcap
Carley Sobrilsky's 3-run homer in the bottom of the fifth envoked the 10-run rule and gave Brookfield Central a 13-1 win over Brookfield East on Monday at Central in the first game of a doubleheader.
Then in the nightcap, the Lancers rallied for two runs in the top of the sixth inning and held on to defeat the Spartans, 6-5, in a thriller.
Angie Chartier, who left the game with a head injury when she had a collision at second base in the fifth inning, returned in the sixth to rip a bases-loaded single to centerfield to drive in the tying and eventual winning run.
Crystal Sicard singled, doubled, scored twice and drove in two runs, Ashley Rossman singled twice, drove in two runs and scored three times and Gabby Tierney singled doubled and drove in a run.
Sicard allowed two hits and fannd eight in five innings for the win.
It would have been easy for the Spartans to lay down after that performance, but coach Rich Anderson's crew battled Central tooth and nail, leading 2-1 and 5-4. Hailey Knight came on in relief of her sister Holly and battled the Lancers right to the end.
Lauren Schweitzer led off the sixth with a walk, Rossman singled sending Schweitzer to third and then Rossman went to third on the throw. East the intentionally walk Sobrilsky for the third time in the doubleheader, setting of Chartier's heroics.
Sicard allowed eight hits and fanned six for the win.
Coach Doug Lange's Lancers are now 11-1 and 8-1 in the Greater Metro Conference.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: May 26
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central, DSHA play to 1-1 tie, share GMC crown
- Youth Baseball: U12 Brewers win 'State Wars' tournament
- Brookfield-Elm Grove Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Land O’Lakes Baseball: Bulldogs, Blue Sox lose in Land O'Lakes play
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East boys second in Greater Metro Conference tennis tournament
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls win GMC Outdoor title
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team finishes third in GMC Tournament
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 26