Brookfield Central couldn't stop King senior guard Austin Malone Mitchell and as a result the Lancers dropped a 60-54 decision on Saturday afternoon at King.
Malone Mitchell scored 28 points, which included 12 in the first period and eight in the third quarter, and six 3-pointers as he scored time and again against the Lancers 1-3-1 zone.
Brad Newman hit the Lancers only 3-pointer with 2 minutes, 5 seconds left to cut the Generals lead to 56-53. Montrell Hobbs hit 1-of-2 free throws for a 57-53 lead and then came the turning point of the game.
Central turned the ball over at halfcourt and Jemell Posey raced down and scored a layup for a 59-53 lead with 1:16 left to play and then both teams spent the rest of the game on the free throw lines attempting to score. The Generals were 1-for-5 and Central was 0-for-3.
King led since 5:31 of the first quarter, leading 17-13 after one and 34-30 at half. Two 3-pointers, one by Malone Mitchell and one by Corey Bias have King a 47-40 lead after three.
Outside of Malone Mitchell, no General reached double figures for King. Elijah Goodman scored at will underneath the basket and had 20 points and 10 rebounds and the Generals made Riley LaChance work harder than he has all season to finish with 12. Caleb Mortag finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Central finished the year 20-4 and King improved to 20-4.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite