Brookfield Central couldn't stop King senior guard Austin Malone Mitchell and as a result the Lancers dropped a 60-54 decision on Saturday afternoon at King.
Malone Mitchell scored 28 points, which included 12 in the first period and eight in the third quarter, and six 3-pointers as he scored time and again against the Lancers 1-3-1 zone.
Brad Newman hit the Lancers only 3-pointer with 2 minutes, 5 seconds left to cut the Generals lead to 56-53. Montrell Hobbs hit 1-of-2 free throws for a 57-53 lead and then came the turning point of the game.
Central turned the ball over at halfcourt and Jemell Posey raced down and scored a layup for a 59-53 lead with 1:16 left to play and then both teams spent the rest of the game on the free throw lines attempting to score. The Generals were 1-for-5 and Central was 0-for-3.
King led since 5:31 of the first quarter, leading 17-13 after one and 34-30 at half. Two 3-pointers, one by Malone Mitchell and one by Corey Bias have King a 47-40 lead after three.
Outside of Malone Mitchell, no General reached double figures for King. Elijah Goodman scored at will underneath the basket and had 20 points and 10 rebounds and the Generals made Riley LaChance work harder than he has all season to finish with 12. Caleb Mortag finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Central finished the year 20-4 and King improved to 20-4.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys basketball: Mirsberger's buzzer-beater gives Brookfield Central a crazy win
- Girls basketball: Spartans can't catch DSHA in standings
- Wrestling: Brookfield Central wins three of five at Zelinski Duals
- Skiing: Ski team third against area elites
- Girls basketball: Lumps taken by Brookfield East beginning to yield results
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central adjusts to zone, downs Menomonee Falls
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup: Jan. 29
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Brookfield Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22