Brookfield Central couldn't stop King senior guard Austin Malone Mitchell and as a result the Lancers dropped a 60-54 decision on Saturday afternoon at King.
Malone Mitchell scored 28 points, which included 12 in the first period and eight in the third quarter, and six 3-pointers as he scored time and again against the Lancers 1-3-1 zone.
Brad Newman hit the Lancers only 3-pointer with 2 minutes, 5 seconds left to cut the Generals lead to 56-53. Montrell Hobbs hit 1-of-2 free throws for a 57-53 lead and then came the turning point of the game.
Central turned the ball over at halfcourt and Jemell Posey raced down and scored a layup for a 59-53 lead with 1:16 left to play and then both teams spent the rest of the game on the free throw lines attempting to score. The Generals were 1-for-5 and Central was 0-for-3.
King led since 5:31 of the first quarter, leading 17-13 after one and 34-30 at half. Two 3-pointers, one by Malone Mitchell and one by Corey Bias have King a 47-40 lead after three.
Outside of Malone Mitchell, no General reached double figures for King. Elijah Goodman scored at will underneath the basket and had 20 points and 10 rebounds and the Generals made Riley LaChance work harder than he has all season to finish with 12. Caleb Mortag finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Central finished the year 20-4 and King improved to 20-4.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory