Brookfield Central held off a rally by Wisconsin Lutheran in the fourth quarter and nipped the Vikings, 59-55, in an exciting non-conference game Friday at Central.
With Central leading, 48-45, with 4 minutes and 3 seconds left to play, Gunnar Melensak hit Riley LaChance with a perfect pass for a layup, then with 2:19 left ot play, Elijah Goodman passed to Caleb Mortag who dunked the ball and then with 1:26 to play Mortag hit two free throws and Central had a 54-45 lead.
The Vikings outscored Central, 10-5, the rest of the way, but it was too little too late.
Central was ranked ninth in state (17-3) in Division 1 and WISCO 15-5) was second in D2.
The Lancers got to the free throw line and made 11-for-15, while the Vikings were 1-for-1.
Diondre Cunningham led all scorers with 18 and Keith Franklin had 12 for WISCO.
Riley LaChance had 17 and Elijah Goodman had 15 points and 16 rebounds and Brad Newman and Mortag had eight each for Central.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sport Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield Central girls' track streak now at six titles
- Sport Shorts: May 21
- Brookfield Central golfers win GMC championship
- Brookfield East girls track second in GMC Triple Crown race
- Brookfield Central boys track earns three wins
- Brookfield Academy Sports Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield East girls soccer beats Franklin, Menomonee Falls
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete