Four Brookfield Central athletes sign letters of intent
Hirsch, Obasih, Homa, Melton to continue careers in college
Brookfield Central had four athletes sign letters of intent to continue their playing careers at the next level.
Carl Hirsch, one of the state's top runners, Chikwe Obasih, one of the state's top defensive players, and Jacob Homa and Vantwon Melton, key members of the Lancers football team, all put pen to ink.
Hirsch and Obasih will be attending the University of Wisconsin, while Homa will be at Iowa State and Melton at Concordia University in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Here is a closer look at each athlete.
Carl Hirsch was the best distance runner to come out of Brookfield Central. Hirsch, who will run cross country and track and field at Madison, earned honors in both sports. In cross country, he was a three-time All-Conference choice, Greater Metro Conference Champ, two-time Sectional Champ, two-time All-State and three-time Academic All State selection.
He was also Academic All-Conference, team captain and MVP.
In track he was the 2012 Conference Indoor Champ and the school record holder in the 1600 (4:08.21) and the 3200 (9:12.76).
He was a member of the WIAA State Champion 3200 relay team with a state record time (7:40.09) and a WIAA State Champion in the 3200, 1600 relay and the 3200 relay.
He was named the 2012 ESPN and Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year, his highest honor. He was also the 2012 Greater Metro Conference Male Athlete of the Year.
In 2011 he was a State Qualifier in the 3200, the 1600 relay and 3200 relay.
Chikwe Obasih will play football for new coach Gary Anderson at the University of Wisconsin in the fall. He was rated as the state's second-best defensive lineman going into last season behind Alec James of Brookfield East.
His last two seasons (2011-12) he was a two-time captain and first-team Greater Metro All-Conference selection, an All-Area Selection, an All Suburban selection and an All-Region choice.
In 2012 he was a first-team All-State selection and he was in the 2012 High School All-American Game-Semper Fi in California.
Jacob Homa will bring his football talents to Iowa State University. The 6-foot-6-inch, 280 pound offensive lineman was a two-year varsity starter who earned GMC Honorable Mention All-Conference honors in 2012.
Vantwon Melton was talented wide receiver for the Lancers and a two-time starter the past two seasons. He will take his talents to Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys basketball: Mirsberger's buzzer-beater gives Brookfield Central a crazy win
- Girls basketball: Spartans can't catch DSHA in standings
- Wrestling: Brookfield Central wins three of five at Zelinski Duals
- Skiing: Ski team third against area elites
- Girls basketball: Lumps taken by Brookfield East beginning to yield results
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central adjusts to zone, downs Menomonee Falls
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup: Jan. 29
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Brookfield Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22