Brookfield East's first conference win slipped from its grasp against Menomonee Falls on Friday, when Devon Nauer's rebound basket as time expired in overtime left the Spartans boys basketball team with a heartbreaking 58-57 loss.
East took the lead with 10 seconds left in the extra session, but Falls guard Brandon Ramey was able to drive and shoot a runner from the free throw line that rimmed out, and Nauer descended from the top of the key for an unabated final look.
"Obviously it was not a great time to not block out," coach Matt Malett said. "But we also struggled to stay with Ramey on the initial shot. Their guards are quick, and we've had trouble with quick guards all season. They really hurt us in transition."
Mike Novak scored 25 points and now averages 19.8 points in six contests since his return from injury.
"He's scoring a lot in the mid-20s, and it might be the only surprise is the consistency that he's doing this with, but I'm not overly surprised because he put a lot of time in during the summer and he's been very dedicated the past three years," Malett said.
Malett also credited Mike Eberle for his steady play.
"He plays nice help-side defense and pulled down a couple rebounds and hit a couple shots," Malett said. "He's been a pretty steady influence on us, and he's improving every game."
Juwan McCloud finished with 16 points for Falls, which left the gym with an identical 5-10 record to East but a 3-4 league mark. The Spartans face Wauwatosa East on Friday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East girls track team wins own invitational
- Whitefish Bay boys track team rolls into form, wins East meet
- Brookfield Central Jr. Lancer eighth-graders win fourth straight state title
- Brookfield East finishes third at Mike Gain Invite
- Brookfield Central Lancers lose 2 of 3 games, star pitcher
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Brookfield Central girls track team third at Spartan Invitational
- Sports Notes: April 16
- Brookfield East boys out to defend state tennis crown