The Brookfield Stars - led by Robby Fosdick's hat trick - beat Waupun, 7-3, on Saturday at the Ponds of Brookfield and snapped a five-game losing streak in the process.
"This was a big game for our team as our staff felt the boys put together a very good week of practice," assistant coach Matt Shapiro said. "We've really struggled to create offense in our first seven games and it was nice to see our guys find a way to break out of that slump."
John Rymaszewski also chipped in and scored two goals to add to his team-leading total of seven.
Brookfield led 3-0 after the first period and 5-1 after two periods. Each team then exchanged two goals in the final period.
Mason Kollakowsky had a goal and an assist and Mikey Hawthorne added a goal. Nick Stagl had two assists and Vince Dombrowski had one.
"Robby and Johnny really stepped up tonight and gave us the momentum early," Shapiro said. "Nick made a beautiful cross ice pass to Mason who was hustling down the ice and was able to finish. Nick and Mason also elevated their game to help us get back on track."
Shapiro was also pleased with the Stars' defense.
"We played more physical and disciplined in our defensive zone and limited Waupun to only a few good scoring chances," he said.
"Our guys are learning that hard work in practice will usually lead to better results come game time. We have some tough games coming up over the next few weeks and as coaches, we're excited to see how our boys respond from this big win."
The Stars are now 3-5.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central's Kennedy proud of football team's effort in winning conference title
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 26, 2015
- Oak Creek girls basketball team pulls away from Brookfield Central in second half
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Brookfield East's Matt Szews named Volleyball Player of the Year, first-team all-state
- Brookfield Academy: Nov. 26, 2015
- Brookfield East girls basketball team starts out 2-0
- Brookfield East soccer team names three senior captains as MVPS
- Brookfield East girls swimming team looks back on excellent season