The Lancers crushed Madison East, 64-22, on Nov. 29 at home in a non-conference game in their only action last week.
To call the first quarter low-scoring would be an understatement, as Central led by a 2-0 margin. Both teams then had a respectable second period, as the Lancers outscored the Purgolders, 16-11, to take an 18-11 lead into halftime.
Brookfield Central coach Dan Wandrey then had a strong conversation with his team and they came out after intermission and blew away the Purgolders. The Lancers ran up a 26-5 third quarter to lead 42-16 after three periods. The Lancers didn't let up as a 20-6 final quarter led to a 46-11 second-half advantage.
"I think we played with urgency," Wandrey said about the second half. "We spoke with the team at halftime - if you didn't know anything about the teams, you would have thought they were better based on the intensity as they were warming up. We had none and that's how we played.
"At halftime we challenged them that you can't just show up to play. All of a sudden we're getting to the basket, we're getting stops on defense. Our defense was better interior-wise. The first half was bad, but you have to like the way they responded - they put up 64 points."
Central managed to have 10 players get on the scoreboard, with junior guard Lydia Rohde leading the way with 14 points and sophomore guard Emma Brauer with 10. Sarah Fotsch, Kathryn Stief, Nicole Hinz and Alena Moro each added six points.
Wandrey had special praise for Mary DeChant and Rohde.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine