The Lancers crushed Madison East, 64-22, on Nov. 29 at home in a non-conference game in their only action last week.
To call the first quarter low-scoring would be an understatement, as Central led by a 2-0 margin. Both teams then had a respectable second period, as the Lancers outscored the Purgolders, 16-11, to take an 18-11 lead into halftime.
Brookfield Central coach Dan Wandrey then had a strong conversation with his team and they came out after intermission and blew away the Purgolders. The Lancers ran up a 26-5 third quarter to lead 42-16 after three periods. The Lancers didn't let up as a 20-6 final quarter led to a 46-11 second-half advantage.
"I think we played with urgency," Wandrey said about the second half. "We spoke with the team at halftime - if you didn't know anything about the teams, you would have thought they were better based on the intensity as they were warming up. We had none and that's how we played.
"At halftime we challenged them that you can't just show up to play. All of a sudden we're getting to the basket, we're getting stops on defense. Our defense was better interior-wise. The first half was bad, but you have to like the way they responded - they put up 64 points."
Central managed to have 10 players get on the scoreboard, with junior guard Lydia Rohde leading the way with 14 points and sophomore guard Emma Brauer with 10. Sarah Fotsch, Kathryn Stief, Nicole Hinz and Alena Moro each added six points.
Wandrey had special praise for Mary DeChant and Rohde.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite