Brookfield East wrestling coach John Veal had some good performances in the first week of the season.
The Spartans opened the season Nov. 29 at home against Waukesha West, winning, 45-21, and getting four pins in the process.
Leading the way for East with pins were Ben Lingeman at 132 pounds, Josh Dempsey (138), Alex McGuire (182) and PJ LeClaire (220).
Major decisions came from Zech Copeland (145), John LeClaire (195) and Harold Britton (285). Malcolm Vetter (120) won on a decision, and Carsten Balke (126) won on a forfeit.
"It was a solid outing for the team," Veal said, then going on and praising his returning players.
"PJ LeClaire turned himself into a 'fitness junkie' and has stepped it up. John LeClaire is the captain and leader. Ben Lingeman is now healthy and expecting great things.
"Josh Dempsey will bring the type of excitement to the match that Larry Watson did. Zech Copeland is the hardest working kid on the team and wrestled a great match."
Veal was also happy with his new wrestlers.
" Harold Britton wrestled his first-ever match and came through with a victory. Four expected starters are out of the lineup, but we just have to keep plugging away. Malcolm Vetter had a victory in his freshman debut."
The Spartans took part in the Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational on Saturday. Highlights included Lingeman (126), Balke (132), Dempsey (138) and John LeClaire (195) all won their brackets and PJ LeClaire (220) went 4-1.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine
- Football: Former Brookfield East coach Tom Swittel goes out with WFCA All-Star Game win
- Brookfield Bulldogs, Blue Sox begin Land O'Lakes stretch run
- New Brookfield Central AD Don Kurth to bring wide variety of experience
- Sports Notes: July 14
- Baseball: Brookfield East's upset bid falls short in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team wins three of final four regular-season games