Despite graduating star, Brookfield Central girls basketball team has plenty of experience
Here's the bad news for the Brookfield Central girls basketball team: First-team all-Greater Metro Conference player Anna Liewen graduated and is playing at Northern Michigan University.
Here's the good news: coach Dan Wandrey has eight returning letter winners from a team that went 14-10 overall and 9-5 in conference.
Wandrey returns four starters from last year - junior Lydia Rohde and seniors Sarah Fotsch, Mary DeChant and Debbie Entzminger. Senior Nicole Wellenstein, juniors Nicole Hinz and Jasmine Lewis and sophomore Emma Brauer all saw plenty of action last season.
Wandrey, who has a 189-129 record in 14 seasons, also had a Junior Varsity team (17-5) and a freshman team (11-9) with winning records last year.
Newcomers from those teams include senior Ashley Shady, juniors Abby Miller, Alena Moro and Ashley Rossman and sophomore Katherine Stief.
"We have varsity experience, perimeter shooting and enthusiasm," Wandrey said when asked about his team's strong points. "We need to improve our defensive intensity and awareness, though. We also need to work on rebounding, consistent scoring and post play and overall intensity."
Wandrey said he believes Sussex Hamilton, Divine Savior Holy Angels and Menomonee Falls are the preseason conference favorites.
The Lancers open with games in their own tournament, playing Oshkosh West Friday and Waukesha West Saturday. Both games start at 1:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Brookfield's Krill wins boys 16 doubles Midwest Closed Junior Championship
- Rufer, Keane key Lancers' victory over Brookfield East
- Brookfield East's Hyndiuk shines on mound
- Lightning strikes in shootout to beat Brookfield Academy girls
- Brookfield Bulldogs score 4 runs in 11th inning to nip Lannon
- Brookfield Blue Sox lose to first-place Pewaukee
- Brookfield East's Bullen earns MVP honors for track
- Brookfield Central puts six softball players on all-Greater Metro Conference team