Despite graduating star, Brookfield Central girls basketball team has plenty of experience
Here's the bad news for the Brookfield Central girls basketball team: First-team all-Greater Metro Conference player Anna Liewen graduated and is playing at Northern Michigan University.
Here's the good news: coach Dan Wandrey has eight returning letter winners from a team that went 14-10 overall and 9-5 in conference.
Wandrey returns four starters from last year - junior Lydia Rohde and seniors Sarah Fotsch, Mary DeChant and Debbie Entzminger. Senior Nicole Wellenstein, juniors Nicole Hinz and Jasmine Lewis and sophomore Emma Brauer all saw plenty of action last season.
Wandrey, who has a 189-129 record in 14 seasons, also had a Junior Varsity team (17-5) and a freshman team (11-9) with winning records last year.
Newcomers from those teams include senior Ashley Shady, juniors Abby Miller, Alena Moro and Ashley Rossman and sophomore Katherine Stief.
"We have varsity experience, perimeter shooting and enthusiasm," Wandrey said when asked about his team's strong points. "We need to improve our defensive intensity and awareness, though. We also need to work on rebounding, consistent scoring and post play and overall intensity."
Wandrey said he believes Sussex Hamilton, Divine Savior Holy Angels and Menomonee Falls are the preseason conference favorites.
The Lancers open with games in their own tournament, playing Oshkosh West Friday and Waukesha West Saturday. Both games start at 1:30 p.m.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season