Brookfield East had plenty to celebrate when looking back at the fall season.
At the recent awards banquet junior Lindsay Powell was voted Brookfield East's Most Valuable Award by her teammates.
Powell was a state qualifier in the 200-yard individual medley, 100-backstroke and two relay teams. She was also a second-team All-Greater Metro Conference selection in the backstroke.
Junior Jordan Paterson was picked by the coaches as the Most Improved. She was honorable mention all-conference in the 200 freestyle relay.
The final award, the Coaches Award, went to seniors Claudia Keippier and Laura Werking.
Next year's captains, as elected by the team, are Rosie Bauer, Maggie Lingle and Powell.
Here are some other highlights.
Senior Carley Stewart qualified for state in the 200 and 500 free as well as the 400 free relay with Lingle, Powell and Jessica Wescott. She was second-team all-conference in the 500 free.
Lingle also qualified for state in the 100 butterfly and was honorable mention all-conference in the butterfly and 500 free and was a member of the 200 free relay with Melissa Gustafson, Paterson and Stewart.
Gustafson was also on the state-qualifying 200 medley relay with Westcott, Werking and Powell.
Seven swimmers were GMC Scholar Athletes and WISCA All-State Academic selections (3.5 GPA for seven semesters): Kelli Bauer, Haley Carter, Gustafson, Claudia Keipper, Christine Shi, Stewart and Werking.
Bauer, Gustafson, Shi, Stewart and Werking were also NISCA Academic All-Americans.
The full team's weighted GPA is 3.663 and the varsity's is 3.872, the latter number qualifying the Spartans for an All-American Academic Gold Team Award.
East will lose seven seniors to graduation: Stewart, Werking, Gustafson, Shi, Keipper, Carter and Alyse Korpela.
As a team, the Spartans were 5-1 in dual meets, 4-1 in conference. They were second in the Lancers Invitational, second in conference, third in conference relays, third in the Spartan Invitational, fourth in sectional and 42nd in state.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East boys track team will once again be a threat
- Brookfield East girls basketball team moving on up
- Brookfield Barracudas put together solid swim season
- Brookfield East girls track team wins Nelson Daniel's Invite
- Cain takes the reins for Brookfield Central softball
- Brookfield Central boys third at UW-Parkside Invite
- Brookfield Central girls track and field team wins Outfitters Invite
- Dusing returns to lead Brookfield Central boys track team
- Liebl happy with first season as Brookfield Central's girls basketball coach