First-year Brookfield East boys basketball coach Matt Malett will return three starters from last year's team and seven letter winners as well.
Malett will show his adaptability since there are injury questions with two of his three returning starters.
Senior point guard Ryan McBride is healthy, but seniors Brian Smithand forward Mike Novak have injuries to recover from.
Smith, who suffered a significant ankle injury in East’s final football game, is out four to six weeks. The Spartans are hoping he is able to return for the Greater Metro Conference opener against Wauwatosa East on Dec. 7.
The left-handed shooting Novak, who has a broken right forearm, recently had a smaller cast put on and could be out a couple of weeks.
Adding to this group are returning letter winners and seniors Jacob Wiesmueller, Jonathan McGinley, Steven Tongas and Adam Aleiou.
Malett lists junior Josh Byrd as a player to watch.
"We have high expectations this season with a lot of seniors returning," said Malett, who replaced longtime coach Andy Farley, who accepted an associate principal position at Menomonee Falls. "We have been battling many injuries already this year, but with a full roster, we will compete at a high level in the Greater Metro Conference."
Malett has been active in the Spartan program since 2002 when he began in the Jr. Spartan program. He progressed through the ranks serving most recently as head JV coach.
The Spartans finished seventh of eight teams in the GMC last year with a 5-9 record and they were 5-18 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East has plenty of talent returning on diamond
- SPORTS SHORTS MAY 21
- East boys edge Falls for Ron Burling Invite
- Sox, Bulldogs looking to bounce back in LOL
- Brookfield East boys earn five first-place finishes
- Brookfield girls track teams dominate GMC Relays
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- Brookfield Academy: May 14, 2015
- Brookfield East girls soccer team wins Navy Bracket of Gusho Tourney