The big news coming out of Saturday night's Brookfield East boys soccer banquet was that coach Herbie Dundun named four team most valuable players.
The Spartans' four MVPs were Josh Breider, Ben Kosmider, John Orgovan and Matt Wilson. Three of those players, Breider, Kosmider and Orgovan, also were named team captains.
The Spartans had an outstanding season, going to the state tournament for the third straight season. They finished third in the Greater Metro Conference with a 5-2 record behind Marquette (8-0-0) and Menomonee Falls (5-1-1), losing to both teams.
East got revenge and beat Falls, 3-2, in the sectional semifinals, but eventually lost to state champion Marquette, 3-1, in the state semifinals after beating Kimberly in the quarterfinals. The Spartans finished 15-8-3 overall.
Kosmider, Ryan Toy and Jonathan Stone received second-team All-State honors. Breider and Orgovan were each Best of the Rest, which are players also receiving votes.
East's four-year varsity players were Breider, Kosmider and Michael Markusse, while three-year varsity players were Orgovan, Toy and Trenton Daniels.
The Spartans also had nine GMC scholar-athletes: Breider, Markusse, Orgovan, Toy, Ethan Albert, Adam Aleiou, Phill Glapa, Jack Kemnitz and Peter Meidl.
First-team all-conference selections were Orgovan, Kosmider and Breider, while Daniels, Stone and Michael Freigang were second team. Wilson, Markusse, Toy, Mark Glowacki, Mick Kemnitz and Drew Johnson were honorable mention all-conference.
Breider, Kosmider and Orgovan all received Gusho Tournament scholarships based on their leadership on and off the field.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Brookfield's Krill wins boys 16 doubles Midwest Closed Junior Championship
- Rufer, Keane key Lancers' victory over Brookfield East
- Brookfield East's Hyndiuk shines on mound
- Lightning strikes in shootout to beat Brookfield Academy girls
- Brookfield Bulldogs score 4 runs in 11th inning to nip Lannon
- Brookfield Blue Sox lose to first-place Pewaukee
- Brookfield East's Bullen earns MVP honors for track
- Brookfield Central puts six softball players on all-Greater Metro Conference team