The big news coming out of Saturday night's Brookfield East boys soccer banquet was that coach Herbie Dundun named four team most valuable players.
The Spartans' four MVPs were Josh Breider, Ben Kosmider, John Orgovan and Matt Wilson. Three of those players, Breider, Kosmider and Orgovan, also were named team captains.
The Spartans had an outstanding season, going to the state tournament for the third straight season. They finished third in the Greater Metro Conference with a 5-2 record behind Marquette (8-0-0) and Menomonee Falls (5-1-1), losing to both teams.
East got revenge and beat Falls, 3-2, in the sectional semifinals, but eventually lost to state champion Marquette, 3-1, in the state semifinals after beating Kimberly in the quarterfinals. The Spartans finished 15-8-3 overall.
Kosmider, Ryan Toy and Jonathan Stone received second-team All-State honors. Breider and Orgovan were each Best of the Rest, which are players also receiving votes.
East's four-year varsity players were Breider, Kosmider and Michael Markusse, while three-year varsity players were Orgovan, Toy and Trenton Daniels.
The Spartans also had nine GMC scholar-athletes: Breider, Markusse, Orgovan, Toy, Ethan Albert, Adam Aleiou, Phill Glapa, Jack Kemnitz and Peter Meidl.
First-team all-conference selections were Orgovan, Kosmider and Breider, while Daniels, Stone and Michael Freigang were second team. Wilson, Markusse, Toy, Mark Glowacki, Mick Kemnitz and Drew Johnson were honorable mention all-conference.
Breider, Kosmider and Orgovan all received Gusho Tournament scholarships based on their leadership on and off the field.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central guard Emma Brauer headed to UW-La Crosse
- Blue Sox increase winning streak to seven in a row
- Both Brookfield Land O' Lakes teams can make playoffs — or not
- Brookfield Bulldogs split two games over weekend
- Brookfield Land O'Lakes game brings back good memories
- Brookfield East baseball team places five players on all-GMC team
- Versatile Shipman is Lancers' unsung hero
- Brookfield Bulldogs go 0-3 in ABC Tournament
- Pride of Midwest to add another fast-pitch team