The Brookfield Central Glacier girls hockey co-op is riding a wave of energy as they approach the 2012-2013 season.
With 14 returning letter winners on the 20-player squad and a new school leading the way, the Glacier are poised to build upon a successful 2011-2012 campaign.
Returning all-conference forwards Morgan Hollowell, a Brookfield Central senior, Jamie Ertl, a Menomonee Falls senior, and Arianna Smith, a Falls junior, will be joined up front by Central juniors Alexis Aghjian and Trinity Robinson, to form what should be a powerful offensive threat as their skills and chemistry continue to develop.
Rounding out the scoring punch for the Glacier will be a hardworking cast of returning forwards who are expected to mature into their respective roles on the team.
Returning all-conference defensive players Waukesha North sophomore Kelli Sorge and Kettle Moraine sophomore Irene Hougard will anchor a young blue line for the Glacier. Returning Rufus King junior Emma Ray will step into a big role in the team's core defense.
The Glacier also return Central junior goaltender Jenna Bales, who jumped into the spotlight in the Glaciers run to the state tournament last year.
"Jenna knows she has, perhaps, the most important role on the team and she continues to impress the staff with her off-season work ethic and attitude," coach Brian Smith said.
"Last season we were under the radar and embodied the underdog role. We're aware we will face this season with a target on our backs, but it's a challenge the team seems ready to take on."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Wrestling: Brookfield Central wins three of five at Zelinski Duals
- Skiing: Ski team third against area elites
- Girls basketball: Lumps taken by Brookfield East beginning to yield results
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central adjusts to zone, downs Menomonee Falls
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup: Jan. 29
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Brookfield Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22
- Elmbrook Swim Club Scorecard Jan. 22
- Brookfield East boys basketball team win five in a row