Brookfield Central senior Carl Hirsch finished in 29th place at Saturday's WIAA State Cross Country Championship on Saturday at Ridges Golf Course in Wisconsin Rapids.
Hirsch finished with a time of 16 minutes, 16.47 seconds.
He was second after 1 mile, running a 4:58 and then he ran a 5:07 in the second mile, still among the leaders at fourth but couldn't keep it up down the stretch.
"He's a great runner who had a bad day," coach Ronn Blaha said. "He was right on at the two-mile mark. At the 4k mark when it was time to make his move, he couldn't go. It was just one of those things."
Blaha then pointed out the senior had a lot to look forward to.
"He's got a bright future ahead of him," he said. "This race doesn't change that. It would have been nice to have had things go better, but he'll be fine. He's too good of a runner not to be."
Madison West finished first out of 20 teams with 80 points, well ahead of Madison LaFollette (108).
Individually, Hudson senior Ryan Kromer won the event with a time of 15:27.17, easily beating senior McKena Ramos of Sheboygan South (15:37.42).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Academy
- Brookfield Central boys basketball team beats Marquette behind Bruggink's 31 points
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 4, 2016
- Lineup change leads to victory for Brookfield Central wrestlers
- Brookfield East Junior Spartans set football registration
- 10 college-bound Brookfield student-athletes sign letters of intent
- Girls basketball: BC's lead evaporates against DSHA
- ELMBROOK SWIM CLUB JAN. 28
- Sports Shorts: Jan. 28, 2016