The Brookfield Central girls cross country squad won the Albany Invitational on Saturday with 41 points and the Lancers had three runners in the top 10.
Danielle Kulpins led Central with a second-place finish in 15 minutes, 50 seconds, followed by Paulina Agnello, who was seventh in 16:06, and Megan Hlava, who took eighth in 16:08.
Lucy Kwiatkowski finished 11th (16:17) and Kasey Ledvorowski was 16th (16:25).
Central's other runners were Veronica Porubsky (23rd, 16:30) and Kelsey Fox (25th, 17:12).
"The team did a nice job of racing hard on a tough course in the cold and wind," coach Lorie Lewis said. "Freshman Lucy Kwiatkowski showed the elements were not going to be cause for a bad race. Not only did she run a season (personal record) on a challenging course, but she also finished in our top five for the first time this season.
"She definitely has natural talent for running and will only get faster with more experience. Her movement into the top five will really help us out as we go into the final meets of the season."
Lewis was pleased with her team's performance as they head down the stretch.
"This was a great tune up as we approach the final meets of the season," she said. "The top six raced within 40 seconds of each other. They definitely have the potential to improve that mark and race with an even stronger team effort. The next couple meets will call for that type of effort and they will be prepared to give it."
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys track and field: Brookfield East track and field synonymous with success
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball team drops four of five
- Softball: Brookfield East's Jahnke, Knight earn first-team All-GMC softball honors
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs rally for win, stay in first place
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central's Staszkiewicz named first-team all-state for girls soccer
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team searching for results
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season