The Brookfield Central girls cross country squad won the Albany Invitational on Saturday with 41 points and the Lancers had three runners in the top 10.
Danielle Kulpins led Central with a second-place finish in 15 minutes, 50 seconds, followed by Paulina Agnello, who was seventh in 16:06, and Megan Hlava, who took eighth in 16:08.
Lucy Kwiatkowski finished 11th (16:17) and Kasey Ledvorowski was 16th (16:25).
Central's other runners were Veronica Porubsky (23rd, 16:30) and Kelsey Fox (25th, 17:12).
"The team did a nice job of racing hard on a tough course in the cold and wind," coach Lorie Lewis said. "Freshman Lucy Kwiatkowski showed the elements were not going to be cause for a bad race. Not only did she run a season (personal record) on a challenging course, but she also finished in our top five for the first time this season.
"She definitely has natural talent for running and will only get faster with more experience. Her movement into the top five will really help us out as we go into the final meets of the season."
Lewis was pleased with her team's performance as they head down the stretch.
"This was a great tune up as we approach the final meets of the season," she said. "The top six raced within 40 seconds of each other. They definitely have the potential to improve that mark and race with an even stronger team effort. The next couple meets will call for that type of effort and they will be prepared to give it."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central football coach Jed Kennedy is impressed with team's resiliency
- Brookfield East gridders go back to the basics
- Elmbrook Swim Club: Nov. 20
- Brookfield East's Gustafson has lifetime best in 500 free
- Brauer, Busch to lead young Brookfield Central Lancers
- Brookfield Academy: Nov. 20, 2014
- Brookfield Central swimmers finish 12th at state meet
- Brookfield East girls put together record-breaking year
- Sports Shorts: Nov. 13