Brookfield Central crushed West Allis Central, 36-6, last Friday and moved within one win of qualifying for the postseason.
That should be taken care of on Friday, when the Lancers, 3-2 in the Greater Metro Conference, 4-2 overall, host Wauwatosa East (1-4, 2-4) at 7 p.m.
A week after Brookfield Central lost 42-0 to crosstown rival Brookfield East, coach Jamie Meulemans was happy to see his team bounce back against the last-place Bulldogs (0-5, 0-6).
"The kids bounced back well," he said. "We played well in all facets. We played well on special teams, we played well offensively, we played well defensively.
"When all three come together, that's your goal as a coach."
The Lancers scored 13 points in both of the first two quarters for a 26-0 lead and then scored 10 points in the third period and cleared the bench.
Quarterback Riley Richarz opened the scoring with touchdown runs of 47 yards at 10 minutes, 41 seconds and 15 yards with 10 seconds left and Steve Knopp kicked one of two extra points. Knopp finished with 3-for-4 on PATs.
"Riley had a couple nice runs and got us started," Meulemans said. "He's been banged up and has played through it."
The Lancers then waited until the final 3:07 to get on the board again.
Running back Marcus Crum scored twice on runs of seven (3:07) and two yards (1:48). A two-point conversion attempt failed after the first one and Knopp kicked the extra point for a 26-0 halftime lead.
Knopp opened the second half with a 36-yard field goal at 9:20 and DeMario Harris scored on a 10-yard run with 5:41 left in the quarter for a 36-0 lead, which activated the running clock.
Central rushed for 252 yards, as Richarz had 11-for-96, Harris was 14-for-76 and Crum was 7-for-48 as the Lancers ate up the clock with a powerful running game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central girls shock Generals to keep marching
- Lancers rally to beat Brookfield East in girls basketball regional
- Fond du Lac nips Brookfield/CMH Stars in overtime
- Central boys rally again to beat Indians
- Brookfield Central Lancers beat Bulldogs, ties for second in GMC
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers fall to rival Pewaukee in WIAA state sectional dual meet
- Brookfield East's Dempsey off to state wrestling
- Rumpit, Attenberger lead Brookfield Barracuda effort
- Brookfield Central boys ski team finish 18th at state