It has probably been awhile since the Brookfield Central boys volleyball team had a week like they did last week.
First of all, the Lancers upset Marquette in a Greater Metro Conference match on Sept. 19.
"I think this is the first time BC has beaten Marquette," coach Ken Nash said. "If not the first one, one of few.
"For sure it's the first time while I have been here."
The Lancers won, 3-1, winning three in a row after losing the opening game (21-25, 25-16, 25-19, 25-22).
The kills leaders were Billy Brauer (10), Jim Keuper (nine), Luke Sommerfeld (eight) and Tanner Swan and Nate Leitermann (each with seven).
Andrew Dusing handed out 37 assists, Jeff Thurston had 12 digs and Sommerfeld had four aces.
Leiterman (3.5), Swan (3.5) and Brauer (2.5) topped the team in blocked shots.
Then on Saturday, the Lancers beat Germantown in the Arrowhead Invitational title game to win the championship (16-25, 25-15, 15-12).
Central took first in its pool by beating Waukesha North and Greenfield in the morning and then beat Fond du Lac and Whitefish Bay to get to the finals.
Nash named Keuper Central's player of the day.
Stats for the day saw Dusing with 121 assists and Thurston with 56 digs. Kill leaders were Keuper (33), Leitermann (28), Brauer (25), Swan (24) and Sommerfeld (22), and Swan had six aces.
Block leaders were Leitermann (11), Keuper (seven) and Brauer (6.5).
"We are only four weeks into the season, but the guys are playing well," Nash said. "(They) just (have) to focus on our goals and to remember that the season is long from over.
"An area we are working to improve on is our defense and serve receive. This will complement our balanced offense we have been running."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Seniors key Brookfield East boys' success
- Congenital glaucoma doesn't stop Blue Knights' Dentice
- Brookfield Central baseball faces busy schedule
- Cedarburg tops Lancers, 3-1, moves to state finals
- Turelli's goal gives Lancers 1-0 win over Neenah in state quarter-finals
- WIAA state girls soccer preview
- Brookfield East boys tennis team can't topple tennis giant, Marquette
- Elmbrook Swim Club grabs several records at Schroeder meet
- Brookfield East whips Marquette High School twice