In a match that was a defensive battle, with neither team finishing its shots, it wasn't surprising that it took a penalty kick to give the Spartans a 1-0 victory Tuesday night at East.
With the match scoreless at intermission, East's John Orgovan was fouled in the box by Central at the 41:22 mark. East's Ben Kosmider took the penalty kick and completed it and that was to be all the scoring for the night.
The Spartans outshot Central, 3-0, in the first half, but then dominated the second half with a 17-1 margin.The East defense was led by Mark Glowacki, Mike Freigang, Josh Breider and Mick Kemnitz.
"We're still working on finishing the ball," East coach Herbie Dundun said. "We create opportunities and we don't finish them. We are getting better, but it is our major drawback.
To have 17 shots on goal and not complete them is something we must continue to work on. I am very happy with the win and having the penalty kick finished by Kosmider."
East is now 4-1 behind Marquette (5-0) in the Greater Metro Conference race, while Central fell to 2-3.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory