Central spikers ranked fourth in state
Lancers win West Allis Invitational in only action
The fourth-ranked Brookfield Central boys volleyball team had only one event last week, but it was a successful one as the Lancers won the West Allis Invitational on Saturday.
"This week we had a few firsts in a long time at Brookfield Central," Central coach Ken Nash said. "On this week's coaches poll we were ranked fourth in the state, the highest Brookfield Central has been ranked since I took over the program in 2007.
"The team then did a great job in winning the West Allis Invite, another first for us in the past five years."
The Lancers took first in pool play, beating South Milwaukee (20-5, 20-12), Kenosha Bradford (20-13, 20-16) and splitting with Madison West (20-9, 17-20).
They then won their first match in the Championship Bracket against Racine St. Catherine's (20-9, 20-15) and then beat Greendale in the title match (20-12, 20-17).
"The teams we were playing against all day were having troubles getting the ball past our blockers," Nash said. "We had five front-row players with over six assist/blocks for the day."
Andrew Dusing finished with 64 assists, four blocks and three aces; Billy Brauer had 16 kills and four blocks; and Luke Sommerfeld had 16 kills and two blocks.
Tanner Swan had 14 kills, seven aces and 3.5 blocks and Jim Keuper finished with 12 kills and four blocks.
Jeff Thurston had 23 digs, Chase DuChateau had four aces and Nate Leitermann finished with four blocks.
"Our player of the week would be the team," Nash said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield Central girls' track streak now at six titles
- Sport Shorts: May 21
- Brookfield Central golfers win GMC championship
- Brookfield East girls track second in GMC Triple Crown race
- Brookfield Central boys track earns three wins
- Brookfield Academy Sports Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield East girls soccer beats Franklin, Menomonee Falls
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete
- Brookfield East Sport Shorts: May 14