Vantwon Melton caught an 11-yard touchdown pass in the corner with 14 seconds to go, lifting Brookfield Central's state-ranked football team to a thrilling win over Mukwonago on Thursday in a spirited prep football season opener, 19-18.
Melton's catch from junior quarterback Riley Richarz capped an 11-play drive that navigated 80 yards in 1:35. The conversion came on third down after the Mukwonago defensive back slipped on the turf at MHS , leaving Melton wide open.
Central failed on the two-point conversion, and in a last-gasp effort, Mukwonago's Ty Behling picked up the ensuing squib kick and ran it back to the Brookfield Central 27-yard-line with five seconds on the clock. But a 44-yard field goal attempt from Dan Timmers was short.
The Lancers trailed much of the night but pulled within 18-13 with 5:19 to go in the game on a 1-yard touchdown plunge from DeMario Harris. Mukwonago's drive stalled at the Central 44-yard line, leading to a punt that bounced out of bounds narrowly across the goal line for a touchback, mere inches from being down at the 1-yard line.
Timmers hit on a 35-yard field goal just before halftime to give Mukwonago an 18-7 lead at the break. The Indians, under first year coach Clay Iverson, started that drive to 3:09 to go when Tyler Wozny batted a ball into the air in single coverage and came down with an interception. That happened one play after Timmers went around left edge for a go-ahead 10-yard touchdown on 4th and 2.
Mukwonago forced three turnovers and did not commit one of its own. Junior quarterback Aaron Nixon faked a handoff and ran 40 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, tying the game at 7-7. Central took the first lead on the preceding drive, when Melton caught a 35-yard touchdown down the right sideline from Richarz.
Melton finished with three catches for 107 yards. Harris ran for 110 yards.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Big 4th quarter sparks Brookfield Central victory
- Brookfield Central boys basketball team pulls away in fourth quarter
- Big 4th quarter sparks BC victory
- Central boys pull away in fourth quarter
- Brookfield Central wrestlers defeat Spartans
- Brookfield/Cathoic Memorial Stars split two games on weekend
- Brookfield-Elm Grove sports notes: Dec. 18, 2014
- Smith's basket closes out Brookfield East win over Bulldogs
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup, Dec. 18