Brookfield Central couldn't cash in on several chances to score Thursday night at home, so an underdog Brookfield East team took the Lancers through two overtimes and won a 4-2 shootout to advance to Saturday's sectional finals, one game away from the state tournament.
The Lancers missed two decent scoring chances in the first half and the match was scoreless at halftime.
The Lancers best chance to score came at the 69 minute mark when Sarah Baker kicked a great lead pass to Bella Turelli, who zoned in on the ball as East freshman goalkeeper Rachel Novak raced to cut down the angle and then made an amazing save to knock the ball away to the left about 10 yards in front of the net.
Central goalkeeper Rachel Oleson made a good save with 3:41 into the first overtime and then East missed a shot in the final seconds. Central then missed two more shots in the second overtime sending the game into a shootout.
Baker made her first shot for the Lancers, but Lauren Knudson tied it for East. Lydia Rohde scored the second goal for Central but East's Kellie Goodman countered.
Then the turning point of the shootout came when Morgan Kenny kicked the ball over the top of the net and East's Jackie Wandt drilled in a shot to give East a 3-2 lead. BC's Sierra High then drilled a shot to Novak's left and the 5-foot-5 inch freshman made a great save.
When Shannon Cashion stepped up and drilled in a shot into the left net, East (7-9-4) pulled off a huge upset over Central (17-5-2).
The Spartans will now face a heavily-favored DSHA (16-4-2), which nipped Wauwatosa East 1-0 in overtime, on Saturday at 3 p.m. at Central.
The Dashers whipped East, 4-1, in their first meeting.
The Spartans lost star senior Taylor Swittel with an arm injury in the first half.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Academy girls build insurmountable lead in win over Brown Deer
- Brookfield's Locante, Pennow earn sectional gymnastics championships
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central girls shock Generals to keep marching
- Lancers rally to beat Brookfield East in girls basketball regional
- Fond du Lac nips Brookfield/CMH Stars in overtime
- Central boys rally again to beat Indians
- Brookfield Central Lancers beat Bulldogs, ties for second in GMC
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers fall to rival Pewaukee in WIAA state sectional dual meet
- Brookfield East's Dempsey off to state wrestling