Central track to hold fundraiser on Thursday
To raise money for assistant coach's newborn
Brookfield Central girls track & field coach Lorie Lewis will hold a 'Laps for Pax' fundraiser on Thursday at Central.
Lewis' top assistant coach for the last 17 years, Danna Bowe, had her first baby in February. Her son, Paxton, was recently diagnosed with cancer which was found throughout his body.
"To say the least this is nothing short of a tragedy," Lewis said. "Danna is one of my closest friends. To date they have not be able to determine what type of cancer Paxton has. He will be having chemotherapy treatments for the next year."
As a result Lewis' track and field program is organizing a fundraising event for childhood cancer tomorrow on the BC track.
Relays teams of 4-6 people are created with the goal to run as many laps as possible in an hour. There will be music, a cookout and Frisbee for teams waiting to run their scheduled hour.
This event is open to anyone but has been specifically advertised to the student body, faculty and staff, parents, and alumni from the girls track program. It will not only be a relay event but also serve as an end of the year picnic.
"I think it's something positive high school athletes are doing to help one of their coaches who is dealing with a life-altering experience," Lewis said. "I am in charge of the event but the girls are truly doing all the work. I am very hopeful it will be a success with a large turnout allowing the team to raise significant money for a childhood organization."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Football: Brookfield Academy stumbles late in D5
- Football: Germantown football team advances with easy win over Brookfield Central
- Football: Cedarburg poised for North Shore rematch
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Girls swimming: Central gets best of East in swimming dual, with conference meet still ahead
- Boys soccer: Brookfield East leaves Pewaukee feeling foggy
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 23
- Library Recommendations: Oct. 23