Central track to hold fundraiser on Thursday
To raise money for assistant coach's newborn
Brookfield Central girls track & field coach Lorie Lewis will hold a 'Laps for Pax' fundraiser on Thursday at Central.
Lewis' top assistant coach for the last 17 years, Danna Bowe, had her first baby in February. Her son, Paxton, was recently diagnosed with cancer which was found throughout his body.
"To say the least this is nothing short of a tragedy," Lewis said. "Danna is one of my closest friends. To date they have not be able to determine what type of cancer Paxton has. He will be having chemotherapy treatments for the next year."
As a result Lewis' track and field program is organizing a fundraising event for childhood cancer tomorrow on the BC track.
Relays teams of 4-6 people are created with the goal to run as many laps as possible in an hour. There will be music, a cookout and Frisbee for teams waiting to run their scheduled hour.
This event is open to anyone but has been specifically advertised to the student body, faculty and staff, parents, and alumni from the girls track program. It will not only be a relay event but also serve as an end of the year picnic.
"I think it's something positive high school athletes are doing to help one of their coaches who is dealing with a life-altering experience," Lewis said. "I am in charge of the event but the girls are truly doing all the work. I am very hopeful it will be a success with a large turnout allowing the team to raise significant money for a childhood organization."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Notes: July 2, 2015
- Brookfield's Krill wins boys 16 doubles Midwest Closed Junior Championship
- Rufer, Keane key Lancers' victory over Brookfield East
- Brookfield East's Hyndiuk shines on mound
- Lightning strikes in shootout to beat Brookfield Academy girls
- Brookfield Bulldogs score 4 runs in 11th inning to nip Lannon
- Brookfield Blue Sox lose to first-place Pewaukee
- Brookfield East's Bullen earns MVP honors for track
- Brookfield Central puts six softball players on all-Greater Metro Conference team