Central track to hold fundraiser on Thursday
To raise money for assistant coach's newborn
Brookfield Central girls track & field coach Lorie Lewis will hold a 'Laps for Pax' fundraiser on Thursday at Central.
Lewis' top assistant coach for the last 17 years, Danna Bowe, had her first baby in February. Her son, Paxton, was recently diagnosed with cancer which was found throughout his body.
"To say the least this is nothing short of a tragedy," Lewis said. "Danna is one of my closest friends. To date they have not be able to determine what type of cancer Paxton has. He will be having chemotherapy treatments for the next year."
As a result Lewis' track and field program is organizing a fundraising event for childhood cancer tomorrow on the BC track.
Relays teams of 4-6 people are created with the goal to run as many laps as possible in an hour. There will be music, a cookout and Frisbee for teams waiting to run their scheduled hour.
This event is open to anyone but has been specifically advertised to the student body, faculty and staff, parents, and alumni from the girls track program. It will not only be a relay event but also serve as an end of the year picnic.
"I think it's something positive high school athletes are doing to help one of their coaches who is dealing with a life-altering experience," Lewis said. "I am in charge of the event but the girls are truly doing all the work. I am very hopeful it will be a success with a large turnout allowing the team to raise significant money for a childhood organization."
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2