The Brookfield co-op girls team scored two goals in the last minute for a 12-11 come-from-behind victory over University School of Milwaukee in the Wisconsin Lacrosse Federation Sectional semifinal game Saturday at University School.
The Wildcats (12-4) fell behind when Brookfield's Annie Kuse, Alexis Aghjian, Elissa Evanich and Morgan Hollowell scored goals in the first five minutes.
USM fought back to 4-3, but a Hollowell goal made it 5-3 at 6:31, before USM scored twice to tie the game.
Hollowell then scored her third goal of the game with just three seconds left in the half to put Brookfield up at halftime, 6-5.
It was the last goal that Hollowell, the state's leading scorer, would get in the game. USM's Meredith Jeffers and Giulia Ricca held Hollowell, the state's leading scorer, to only three goals (she averages about seven or eight goals a game).
USM tied the game just a minute into the second half on another goal by Kelly Brethauer, who had a total of seven goals in the game. Addie Lerner then gave USM its first lead of the game at 7-6 with a goal at 21:55, and at 20:50 USM went further ahead on another scoring shot by Brethauer.
The score stayed close throughout the remainder of the half. At 18:32 Brookfield's Grace Barlow and Brethauer exchanged goals then Evanich scored for Brookfield at 13:30 to keep Brookfield down by one.
Brethauer scored again at 8:15 to give USM a 10-8 lead, but a goal by Erica Engstrand at 5:21 and another by Kuse at 3:37 pulled Brookfield back into a tie.
With 1:03 left, Brethauer gave USM another lead (11-10), and as the clock ticked down the Wildcats had hopes of a victory. Barlow dashed those hopes, however.
First she tied the game with 36 seconds left and then scored the winning goal with just 14 seconds left to give Brookfield the win.
Brookfield played Arrowhead on June 6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Seniors key Brookfield East boys' success
- Congenital glaucoma doesn't stop Blue Knights' Dentice
- Brookfield Central baseball faces busy schedule
- Cedarburg tops Lancers, 3-1, moves to state finals
- Turelli's goal gives Lancers 1-0 win over Neenah in state quarter-finals
- WIAA state girls soccer preview
- Brookfield East boys tennis team can't topple tennis giant, Marquette
- Elmbrook Swim Club grabs several records at Schroeder meet
- Brookfield East whips Marquette High School twice