While Brookfield East (39 points) beat out La Crosse Central (35) for the WIAA State Track & Field Championship on Friday and Saturday at Veterans Memorial Stadium at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, perhaps the biggest surprise was the third-place finish by coach Mark Pulkownik's Brookfield Central team.
"What a great weekend the athletes had," Pulkownik said. "To finish third was a great accomplishment for the kids that went to state and to finish with a state record (3,200 relay) as well. It was truly a state meet to remember."
(See separate story on Carl Hirsch and the 3,200 relay team.)
Three competitors who competed but didn't score in their individual events were junior Elliot Yanasak and seniors Nick Petersson and Amir Alwan. Petersson and Alwan were part of the record-setting 3,200 relay, however (see separate story).
Yanasak finished 12th in the pole vault with a leap of 13 feet, 6 inches, while Petersson was 12th in the 3,200, finishing with a time of 9:38.25. Alwan finished 15th in the 800 (1:56.58).
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield East baseball has 6-0 week
- Soccer: Elm Grove soccer players to be honored
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls have another successful track and field season
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball can't quite end streak
- Baseball: Brookfield East uses five-run first inning to beat Lancers
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Arnold throws no-hitter, Blue Sox blank Menomonee Falls
- Elmbrook Swim Club hosted All-American meet at Brookfield East
- Softball: Brookfield Central had solid season under new coaching staff
- Elmbrook Swim Club: June 2