Brookfield Central rode a 5-run first inning to a 10-5 victory over Brookfield East on Thursday at East and advanced to Monday's sectional at Homestead.
The Lancers (12-9) scored quickly in the first inning on losing pitcher Amanda Kalupa. Lead-off hitter Laura Hauser and Angie Chartier singled and Carly Sobrilsky slammed a 3-run homer over the right field fence. Three East errors then opened the door to three more runs and a 5-0 lead.
Central added a single run in the second inning and two runs in both the fourth and sixth innings while East could only manage single runs in the second and third innings and three in the sixth.
Senior Anna Liewen had three hits and Gabby Tierney added two more to lead the Lancers.
The Spartans (16-9) banged out 10 hits but couldn't put together a big inning against winning pitcher Hauser, who is 4-0 against the Lancers.
Both Kalupa and Emma Megal had two hits each for East, as the 5-1 Megal just missed a home run slammed a double off the top of the left field wall into the wind.
Central has beaten the Spartans two of three times this year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Menomonee Falls defends GMC softball title with 2-0 win over BC
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete
- Brookfield East Sport Shorts: May 14
- Brookfield East boys wins Burling Invite by 78 points
- Brookfield Central netters have unbeaten week
- Brookfield Central Sport Shorts: May 14
- Massart, Thomas two of Central's best athletes ever
- Brookfield Academy wrapups: May 13
- Brookfield Central kickers have 1-1-1 week