Brookfield East defeated Brookfield Central, 11-8, Thursday night at East and the Spartans won their sixth straight game.
The Spartans scored 11 runs in the first inning and were one out from ending the game with the 10-run rule, when Central scored four runs in the fifth inning to cut the lead to 11-5. The Lancers then cut the lead to 11-8 by scoring three more times in the sixth, but winning pitcher Amanda Kalupa had a 1-2-3 seventh inning to end the game.
Becky Hanson had a bases-clearing double to key the Spartans 11-run first inning. Jocelyn 'Skeeter' Yeager, Kalupa and Kelsey Kuehn also had key hits and Central chipped in with two errors. Yeager and Taylor Duffrin added sacrifice flies.
In the fifth with two outs, Laura Hauser, Angie Chartier and Carly Sobrilsky each singled. Hauser scored on a passed ball, Chartier on an error and Hannah Krogman singled driving in two runs.
Hauser came on in relief in the second inning and blanked East the rest of the way. Central added three runs in the sixth, two coming on Hauser's two-run single, but that was all the Lancers could muster.
There were eight errors in the game, five by Central. Hauser had three hits and two RBIs while Hanson had a double single and four RBIs.
East pulled into a second-place tie with Hamilton, both 7-2, behind Menomonee Falls, 9-1, while the Lancers dropped to 4-6.
East hasn't lost since Central beat them, 8-7, on April 23 in their first meeting.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite