The Brookfield East softball team bounced back from a late-inning loss to Brookfield Central last week by winning two Greater Metro Conference games by a combined score of 31-2.
Senior Amanda Kalupa tossed a no-hitter on April 25 as East clobbered Divine Savior Holy Angels, 17-0, at home. Then on Friday, the Spartans traveled to West Allis Central and beat the Bulldogs, 14-2.
The wins improved East's record to 5-3 overall and 3-2 in conference, good enough for fourth place in the GMC.
Against DSHA, Kalupa allowed only one baserunner on a walk, pitching a five inning no-hitter. Amanda Ehrhart made the key defensive play of the game throwing out the game's lead off hitter at first base from rightfield for a 9-3 putout.
Three players had nine of East's 16 hits in the win over the Dashers. Becky Hanson had three hits, including two doubles and an RBI, Kelsey Smith singled three times and drove in three runs and Kelsey Kuehn had two singles and a double.
Leading 6-0 after three innings, the Spartans exploded for 11 runs in the fourth inning to blow the game open.
The Spartans also had a big inning in the win over the Bulldogs on Friday, scoring six runs in the third to take a 10-0 lead.
Hanson allowed four hits and three walks while striking out eight to earn the victory as East backed her up with 11 hits.
Emma Megal scored three times, had two singles, a double and three RBIs while Taylor Duffrin scored three times, added three singles and two RBIs. Megan Roidt also singled twice, scored twice and drove in a run.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sport Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield Central girls' track streak now at six titles
- Sport Shorts: May 21
- Brookfield Central golfers win GMC championship
- Brookfield East girls track second in GMC Triple Crown race
- Brookfield Central boys track earns three wins
- Brookfield Academy Sports Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield East girls soccer beats Franklin, Menomonee Falls
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete