After struggling the week before, Brookfield Central came back and won four of five matches last week.
After losing to powerful Marquette, 6-1, on April 24 - Peter Lyon earned the only win at No. 4 singles (7-5, 6-2) - the Lancers won their next four matches.
Central traveled to West Allis and beat the Central/Hale co-op, 6-1, on April 26.
Lyon (6-1, 6-1), Danny Schoen (6-0, 6-3), Justin Meier (6-0, 6-1) and Will Redman (6-0, 6-0) swept singles. No. 2 doubles Hasan Nadeem/Tommy Hastings (6-1, 6-0) and third doubles John Scanlon/Thomas Markey (6-0, 6-1) earned the other two victories.
The Lancers then went 3-0 at the Verona Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
They beat Waukesha West, 6-1, on Friday. Tries (6-0, 6-0), Patt (6-0, 6-1), Matt Michael (6-2, 6-4) and Lyon (1-6, 6-1, 6-0) swept singles.
No. 1 doubles Andrew Denu/Tarun Jilla (6-2, 6-1) and No. 3 doubles Brad Bartelt/Schoen (6-2, 6-2) earned the other wins.
Then on Saturday, the Lancers beat Verona and Middleton by 6-1 scores.Against Verona, Treis (2-6, 6-1, 7-5), Patt (6-4, 6-4) and Lyon (6-4, 6-2) won singles and Denu/Jilla (5-7, 6-2, 6-3), second doubles of Jack Peterson/Charlie Reamer (4-6, 6-4, 6-4) and Schoen/Bartelt (7-5, 6-4) won at doubles.
In the win over Middleton, Treis (6-1, 6-0), Patt (6-3, 6-0) and Lyon (6-2, 6-3) won at singles and Denu/Jilla (3-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2), Peterson/Reamer (6-4, 6-2) and Schoen/Bartelt (7-6(4), 6-2) won at doubles.
"The early difficult schedule paid dividends this week," Central coach Dave Steinach said. "Waukesha West and Verona are the two best teams in the Madison area.
"We won a bunch of three-setters and that showed something about the character of our players."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Shorts: June 20
- Seniors key Brookfield East boys' success
- Congenital glaucoma doesn't stop Blue Knights' Dentice
- Brookfield Central baseball faces busy schedule
- Cedarburg tops Lancers, 3-1, moves to state finals
- Turelli's goal gives Lancers 1-0 win over Neenah in state quarter-finals
- WIAA state girls soccer preview
- Brookfield East boys tennis team can't topple tennis giant, Marquette
- Elmbrook Swim Club grabs several records at Schroeder meet