Rohde sparks Spartans to Boys GMC Indoor Title, Lancers second
Lancers set record in 3200 relay
In their first major challenge on the long journey back to the state meet in June, the Brookfield East Spartans rolled to the 2012 Greater Metro Conference Indoor Championship on Tuesday at West Allis Central.
East was led by Kyle Rohde, who usually gets most of his kudos on the volleyball court. Rohde won the 55-meter low hurdles (8.40), the 55-high hurdles (8.40), the long jump (21-feet, 3/4 inches) and the triple jump (44-3 1/2).
The Spartans actually swept the top three spots in the 55-high hurdles, as Mitch Douglas (8.44) and Alec Brown (8.48) took second and third.
Those performances helped the Spartans to 165 points, finishing ahead of second-place Brookfield Central (99).
It East's fourth straight indoor title, seventh straight GMC title and 9 of the last 10 championships (relays/outdoors).
Coach Mike Steiner's crew had plenty of help on Tuesday night.
Brad Johnson won the 800 in 2 minutes, 3.1 seconds and then led-off the winning 1,600 relay team with of Ryan DunDun, Will Sutton and Kevin Kashian (3:40.06).
The second-place Lancers also made some noise as the 3,200 relay team of Andrew Dusing, Nick Petersson, Gabe Poser and Carl Hirsch set a conference indoor record with a time of 8:23.92.
Hirsch and Petersson were also 1-2 in the 3200 with times of 9:46.59 and 9:53.67, respectively.
Team results - 1, Brookfield East 165; 2, Brookfield Central 99; 3, Milw. Marquette 89; 4, West Allis Central 79; 5, Sussex Hamilton 75; 6, Menomonee Falls 65; 7, West Allis Hale 43; 8, Wauwatosa East 27.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory