Rohde sparks Spartans to Boys GMC Indoor Title, Lancers second
Lancers set record in 3200 relay
In their first major challenge on the long journey back to the state meet in June, the Brookfield East Spartans rolled to the 2012 Greater Metro Conference Indoor Championship on Tuesday at West Allis Central.
East was led by Kyle Rohde, who usually gets most of his kudos on the volleyball court. Rohde won the 55-meter low hurdles (8.40), the 55-high hurdles (8.40), the long jump (21-feet, 3/4 inches) and the triple jump (44-3 1/2).
The Spartans actually swept the top three spots in the 55-high hurdles, as Mitch Douglas (8.44) and Alec Brown (8.48) took second and third.
Those performances helped the Spartans to 165 points, finishing ahead of second-place Brookfield Central (99).
It East's fourth straight indoor title, seventh straight GMC title and 9 of the last 10 championships (relays/outdoors).
Coach Mike Steiner's crew had plenty of help on Tuesday night.
Brad Johnson won the 800 in 2 minutes, 3.1 seconds and then led-off the winning 1,600 relay team with of Ryan DunDun, Will Sutton and Kevin Kashian (3:40.06).
The second-place Lancers also made some noise as the 3,200 relay team of Andrew Dusing, Nick Petersson, Gabe Poser and Carl Hirsch set a conference indoor record with a time of 8:23.92.
Hirsch and Petersson were also 1-2 in the 3200 with times of 9:46.59 and 9:53.67, respectively.
Team results - 1, Brookfield East 165; 2, Brookfield Central 99; 3, Milw. Marquette 89; 4, West Allis Central 79; 5, Sussex Hamilton 75; 6, Menomonee Falls 65; 7, West Allis Hale 43; 8, Wauwatosa East 27.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Seniors key Brookfield East boys' success
- Congenital glaucoma doesn't stop Blue Knights' Dentice
- Brookfield Central baseball faces busy schedule
- Cedarburg tops Lancers, 3-1, moves to state finals
- Turelli's goal gives Lancers 1-0 win over Neenah in state quarter-finals
- WIAA state girls soccer preview
- Brookfield East boys tennis team can't topple tennis giant, Marquette
- Elmbrook Swim Club grabs several records at Schroeder meet
- Brookfield East whips Marquette High School twice