Rohde sparks Spartans to Boys GMC Indoor Title, Lancers second
Lancers set record in 3200 relay
In their first major challenge on the long journey back to the state meet in June, the Brookfield East Spartans rolled to the 2012 Greater Metro Conference Indoor Championship on Tuesday at West Allis Central.
East was led by Kyle Rohde, who usually gets most of his kudos on the volleyball court. Rohde won the 55-meter low hurdles (8.40), the 55-high hurdles (8.40), the long jump (21-feet, 3/4 inches) and the triple jump (44-3 1/2).
The Spartans actually swept the top three spots in the 55-high hurdles, as Mitch Douglas (8.44) and Alec Brown (8.48) took second and third.
Those performances helped the Spartans to 165 points, finishing ahead of second-place Brookfield Central (99).
It East's fourth straight indoor title, seventh straight GMC title and 9 of the last 10 championships (relays/outdoors).
Coach Mike Steiner's crew had plenty of help on Tuesday night.
Brad Johnson won the 800 in 2 minutes, 3.1 seconds and then led-off the winning 1,600 relay team with of Ryan DunDun, Will Sutton and Kevin Kashian (3:40.06).
The second-place Lancers also made some noise as the 3,200 relay team of Andrew Dusing, Nick Petersson, Gabe Poser and Carl Hirsch set a conference indoor record with a time of 8:23.92.
Hirsch and Petersson were also 1-2 in the 3200 with times of 9:46.59 and 9:53.67, respectively.
Team results - 1, Brookfield East 165; 2, Brookfield Central 99; 3, Milw. Marquette 89; 4, West Allis Central 79; 5, Sussex Hamilton 75; 6, Menomonee Falls 65; 7, West Allis Hale 43; 8, Wauwatosa East 27.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine
- Football: Former Brookfield East coach Tom Swittel goes out with WFCA All-Star Game win
- Brookfield Bulldogs, Blue Sox begin Land O'Lakes stretch run
- New Brookfield Central AD Don Kurth to bring wide variety of experience
- Sports Notes: July 14
- Baseball: Brookfield East's upset bid falls short in Greater Metro baseball tournament
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball team wins three of final four regular-season games