The Kettle Moraine Glacier girls hockey team, a co-op that features skaters from Brookfield, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha schools and others, dropped a 5-4 heartbreaker in quadruple overtime at the WIAA girls state hockey tournament in Madison on Friday.
The third-year program, appearing in its first state tournament, rallied from a three-goal deficit in the third period to force the extra session. Morgan Hollowell scored a pair of unassisted goals to knot the score, with the last coming with 5:45 left to play.
Jeralyse Tylke of KM also scored in the final period, and Jessica Foley scored in the second to give the Glacier a 1-0 lead, but Onalaska answered 25 seconds later to tie the score. KM never led again.
Jenna Bales made 50 saves, including 13 in a blitz of a second overtime, and finished one shy of the state tournament record. Theresa Knutson, the state's leading scorer, put in the game-winner in the fourth OT with 2:17 left on the clock.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Sports Notes: April 16
- Brookfield East boys out to defend state tennis crown
- Henning, Vitale to lead Brookfield East golfers
- Pennow, Locante named co-MVPs for Brookfield gymnastics co-op
- Brookfield Central netters ranked eighth in preseason poll
- Brookfield East to provide free basketball camp for girls
- Brookfield Academy: April 16, 2015
- Brookfield Central golfers need to rebuild
- Oak Creek's Cleary accepts leadership role