The Kettle Moraine Glacier girls hockey team, a co-op that features skaters from Brookfield, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha schools and others, dropped a 5-4 heartbreaker in quadruple overtime at the WIAA girls state hockey tournament in Madison on Friday.
The third-year program, appearing in its first state tournament, rallied from a three-goal deficit in the third period to force the extra session. Morgan Hollowell scored a pair of unassisted goals to knot the score, with the last coming with 5:45 left to play.
Jeralyse Tylke of KM also scored in the final period, and Jessica Foley scored in the second to give the Glacier a 1-0 lead, but Onalaska answered 25 seconds later to tie the score. KM never led again.
Jenna Bales made 50 saves, including 13 in a blitz of a second overtime, and finished one shy of the state tournament record. Theresa Knutson, the state's leading scorer, put in the game-winner in the fourth OT with 2:17 left on the clock.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Boys basketball: Mirsberger's buzzer-beater gives Brookfield Central a crazy win
- Girls basketball: Spartans can't catch DSHA in standings
- Wrestling: Brookfield Central wins three of five at Zelinski Duals
- Skiing: Ski team third against area elites
- Girls basketball: Lumps taken by Brookfield East beginning to yield results
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central adjusts to zone, downs Menomonee Falls
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup: Jan. 29
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Brookfield Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22