The Brookfield Stars boys hockey team nipped Fond du Lac, 2-1, Saturday night at Wilson Park and advanced to the WIAA State Hockey Tournament from Thursday through Saturday at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison.
The Cardinals (13-14-1) scored first with 13:54 in the second period on a goal by Rex Whealon on an assist from Jack Nejedlo and that seemed to wake up the Stars' offense.
Brookfield roared back and scored in less than a minute, as senior Matt Fosdick drilled in a shot from right to left past Cardinals goalie Charles Blagoue.
The Stars weren't finished as Mason Kollakowsky came out of a scrum on the right side of the goalie and slipped in a shot past Blagoue at 10:21 for the 2-1 lead. Both Tommy Hastings and Zak Pipersassisted on the play.
That would be all the scoring for the night, but teams had several opportunities to get back on the board. But good defense, blown shots and great net-minding, especially by the Stars' JJ Murname made the difference.
The game was undecided right down to the final minutes when Brookfield got a two minute penalty with 2:18 left ot play.
But the combination of sophomore Robbie Fosdick and seniors Matt Fosdick, Brandt Rogers and PJ Corbett kept the puck away from Murname and held off Fondy until the final seconds.
The win was Brookfield's fifth in a row and 14 of 15 as the Stars improved to 19-8-0.
Brookfield will now play Eau Claire Memorial at noon on Thursday to open the state tournament.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016 issue
- College Volleyball: Brookfield's Leitermann on UW-Oshkosh's National Title Team
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East tennis team beats Eau Claire, Arrowhead, Neenah
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central's tennis team beats Indian Trail, West Allis Central, then wins own tournament
- GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Brookfield Central's girls track and field team wins Union Grove, Wisconsin Lutheran Invites
- Brookfield Academy: April 28
- Boys basketball: Matt Malett resigns as Brookfield East boys basketball coach
- Softball: Brookfield East softball team beats Tosa West for first victory