West Allis Central came back twice and finally passed Brookfield Central for good with 6 minutes left to play, beating the Lancers, 63-59, Friday night at BCHS.
The win put the Bulldogs (9-2, 13-4) in first place, while the Lancers fell to second (8-3, 13-5). WAC has won 9 of 10 games, including seven straight in GMC play. The Lancers have lost three consecutive league games.
The Bulldogs led 22-19 with 4:11 left in the half, when the Lancers went on a 12-0 run to take a 31-22 lead with 1:09 to play. But baskets by Najeal McMillian and Tonnie Collier cut the lead to 31-26 at intermission.
The Lancers began the second half with a 12-6 run to increase their lead to 43-32 with 3:36 left in the quarter.Seth Mortag had six points and Riley LaChance four in that stretch.
But the Bulldogs came back and cut the lead to 46-44 after three periods behind McMillian (four points), Jaquan Carlson (three), Jarvis Garrett (three) and Darvell Brown (two) while all the Lancers could muster was a 3-pointer by LaChance.
The Lancers last lead was 50-48 on two frees and a basket by Mortag, before the Bulldogs took control with a 15-9 run the rest of the way.
Garrett hit a 3-pointer, Brown two free throws, Collier a rebound basket, McMillian a rebound basket, two free throws by Collier, a fastbreak basket and two free throws by Garrett.
Mortag had two free throws, Nick Olson scored a free throw and two baskets and Jack Sandstrom added a bucket on the buzzer for the Lancers in the last 4:13.
McMillian had 18 points, Collier 16, Garrett 14 and Brown 12, while LaChance and Mortag had 18 each for the Lancers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Dominic LaBellarte leads Brookfield Central football to 55-13 romp over Riverside
- West Bend rallies to beat Brookfield, 8-4
- Brookfield East girls volleyball team expects to contend
- East rushes for 434 yards in win over Popes
- Brookfield East soccer team looking to defend title
- Lueck does it again, wins fourth straight game for Bulldogs: Brookfield Bulldogs back in LOL Grand Championships
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Brookfield East Spartans
- Brookfield Academy football team should be contenders
- Moon, Balding will lead Brookfield Central golfers