West Allis Hale nipped Brookfield East, 42-40, Thursday night at East and kept the Spartans winless in the Greater Metro Conference.
The Huskies are now 2-8 in the GMC, while East dropped to 0-10. With Brookfield Central (5-4), Divine Savior Holy Angels (8-1), West Allis Central (5-4) and Menomonee Falls (7-2) on the Spartans' schedule the rest of the way, the chance getting into the win column in league play is not good.
East led 16-13 after the first period, as Christy Johnson nailed three 3-pointers. East extended that lead to 25-18 when Hale's Rachel Seefeldt threw in a half-court shot to make it 25-21 at halftime.
But the Huskies came out and went on an 11-0 run to take a 32-25 lead with 3:12 left in the quarter. Jazzmin King banked in a 3-point shot from the top of the key to open the scoring in the second half.
Then when Erin Barbeau, standing behind the backboard on the right side, threw a shot over the top of the backboard and into the net, the Huskies were off and running.
King then scored on a steal, Barbeau tossed in a 10 foot hook shot from the right baseline and Seefeldt hit a lay-up to end the 11-0 run.
East then scored seven straight points to tie the game at 32-32 going into the final period.
Laura Kennedy and Kellie Goodman scored baskets and then Goodman hit one of two free throws before Kirsten Kreh hit a basket on a pass from Goodman to end the quarter.
But the Huskies went on a 10-5 run to lead 42-37 and Goodman's 3-point shot on the buzzer made the score closer than it was.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Around Town: Oct. 2
- Sports Notes OCT. 2: Brookfield man wins Spartan Race World Championship in his age class
- Brookfield Central swim team wins GMC Relays, East second
- Brookfield East Spartans nip West Allis Hale, 17-13, on gridiron
- Labellarte, Meves spark BC's 35-12 win over Bulldogs
- BROOKFIELD ACADEMY: OCT. 2
- East emerges from late-game flurry against Hale
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Brookfield East netters beat Red, Raiders, Lancers, fifth at Nicolet Invite