Brookfield Central used a big second quarter to beat Wauwatosa East, 76-63, Friday night before a disappointing crowd at Tosa East.
The win game the Lancers a 6-0 Greater Metro Conference record and moved them a game ahead of the Red Raiders (5-1). Both teams are 10-2 overall.
Kyle Vnuk came off the bench to score six points in the first quarter and spark East to a 17-9 lead after 12 minutes. But the Lancers went on a 28-11 run in the second period behind 12 points by sophomore Riley LaChance and took a 37-28 lead into intermission.
LaChance had 14 points at half and Seth Mortag had 10, while East's Diamonte Mckinley, Vnuk and Bryce Kratzer each had seven.
With Central leading, 47-36, the Red Raiders started an 8-0 run to cut the lead to 47-44 with 1:54 left in the third period.
Junior Nate Moore scored twice, Vnuk scored on a pass from Anthony Carroll and Moore hit another basket in the run.
But the Lancers closed out the quarter with an 8-2 run of their own to ease into the final period with a 9-point lead (55-46).
LaChance banked in a jumper and then Mortag did the same and also hit two free throws before East's Riley Poe hit a lay-up with 25.6 left in the quarter. But Mortag scored the final basket in the run for Central.
The Lancers held off the Red Raiders as reserves Nate Rohde and Elijah Goodman had five points each in the final quarter and Carroll had five for the Red Raiders.
LaChance led all players with 24 points and Mortag had 22, while Tosa East had four players in double figures - Kratzer (13), Moore (12), Carroll (12) and Vnuk (11).
Jack Sandrom also scored seven points for the Lancers and played well off the bench.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Menomonee Falls boys basketball coach Ben Farley to step down
- Brookfield East Sports Shorts: May 26
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central, DSHA play to 1-1 tie, share GMC crown
- Youth Baseball: U12 Brewers win 'State Wars' tournament
- Brookfield-Elm Grove Sports Notes: May 26, 2016
- Land O’Lakes Baseball: Bulldogs, Blue Sox lose in Land O'Lakes play
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield East boys second in Greater Metro Conference tennis tournament
- Girls Track and Field: Brookfield East girls win GMC Outdoor title
- Boys Tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team finishes third in GMC Tournament