Playing without three starters, Brookfield East stayed close to Milwaukee Riverside before seeing the Tigers pull away in the fourth quarter for a 60-44 win.
With Mikey Novak and Billy Dietz out sick and Nick Kanavas unavailable, East hung with Riverside until 5:25 was left to play. After Ryan McBride sank two free throws to cut the lead to 35-34, the Tigers went on a 7-0 run.
But McBride passed to Brian Smith, who scored on a driving lay-up and Smith was fouled on the play. He converted the free throw to cut the lead to 42-37, but an 8-0 run put the Spartans way.
McBride led East with 18 points as he continues to be a bigger part of this offense and Smith added 14. Bakari Triggs led Riverside with 15 and Jalen Currie and Shomari Triggs had 13 each.
East Troy beat Racine Horlick, 67-61, in the championship game to win the LaVern Luebstorf Holiday Tournament. Nate Dodge had 19 points for the winners and Antwan Jackson had 20 for the Rebels.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Wrestling: Brookfield Central wins three of five at Zelinski Duals
- Skiing: Ski team third against area elites
- Girls basketball: Lumps taken by Brookfield East beginning to yield results
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Central adjusts to zone, downs Menomonee Falls
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup: Jan. 29
- Track and field: Former Badgers standout Calhoun to lead Brookfield Central girls track
- Sports recaps from Brookfield Central and East: Jan. 22
- Elmbrook Swim Club Scorecard Jan. 22
- Brookfield East boys basketball team win five in a row