Playing without three starters, Brookfield East stayed close to Milwaukee Riverside before seeing the Tigers pull away in the fourth quarter for a 60-44 win.
With Mikey Novak and Billy Dietz out sick and Nick Kanavas unavailable, East hung with Riverside until 5:25 was left to play. After Ryan McBride sank two free throws to cut the lead to 35-34, the Tigers went on a 7-0 run.
But McBride passed to Brian Smith, who scored on a driving lay-up and Smith was fouled on the play. He converted the free throw to cut the lead to 42-37, but an 8-0 run put the Spartans way.
McBride led East with 18 points as he continues to be a bigger part of this offense and Smith added 14. Bakari Triggs led Riverside with 15 and Jalen Currie and Shomari Triggs had 13 each.
East Troy beat Racine Horlick, 67-61, in the championship game to win the LaVern Luebstorf Holiday Tournament. Nate Dodge had 19 points for the winners and Antwan Jackson had 20 for the Rebels.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Girls soccer: Brookfield Central soccer team blanks Brookfield East, 6-0
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield Central Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Brookfield East's Kim Leupold resigns as girls cross-country coach
- Brookfield Academy: May 1, 2016
- Land O’Lakes baseball: Brookfield Bulldogs beat Hartland in Land O'Lakes opener
- Boys tennis: Brookfield Central boys tennis team ranked sixth in state
- Boys Track and Field: Brookfield East boys win North Star Classic Track and Field Invite