Playing without three starters, Brookfield East stayed close to Milwaukee Riverside before seeing the Tigers pull away in the fourth quarter for a 60-44 win.
With Mikey Novak and Billy Dietz out sick and Nick Kanavas unavailable, East hung with Riverside until 5:25 was left to play. After Ryan McBride sank two free throws to cut the lead to 35-34, the Tigers went on a 7-0 run.
But McBride passed to Brian Smith, who scored on a driving lay-up and Smith was fouled on the play. He converted the free throw to cut the lead to 42-37, but an 8-0 run put the Spartans way.
McBride led East with 18 points as he continues to be a bigger part of this offense and Smith added 14. Bakari Triggs led Riverside with 15 and Jalen Currie and Shomari Triggs had 13 each.
East Troy beat Racine Horlick, 67-61, in the championship game to win the LaVern Luebstorf Holiday Tournament. Nate Dodge had 19 points for the winners and Antwan Jackson had 20 for the Rebels.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Brookfield East boys cross country team finishes fourth at quad
- Brookfield East Spartans take third in Gusho Tourney
- Brookfield Central makes Devils see red
- Brookfield East Spartans girls volleyball team sixth at Joust Invite
- Brookfield East boys volleyball team has great expectations
- Brookfield East cross country girls second at PT Timing Cross Country quad
- Brookfield East kicker Allen's four field goals boots Beaver Dam
- Central third in Lancer Invitational